Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:14 PM
watsonmt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sway bar

hey i was told today if i remove the front sway bar i will get more travel in the ifs is this true and if so how would it effect it on the road...

Thanks matt

Old 04-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

DO NOT remove your sway bar. You can get disconnects if you really want or just bring some wrenches with you to disconnect the sway bar while off road, but driving without the front sway bar will change the driveability of the truck a LOT.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:33 PM

ya i thought so i have a 93 i just got today for offroad only so ill do it on that but i wont on my 90, give me a link to some disconnects if you know of any, thanks

Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't say removing the sway bar affect the ride a LOT. I removed my last year to change out the bushings only to find that one of the brackets was bent way out of shape. I left it off as I was about to head out hunting and planned on getting a torch and straightening out the bracket when I got back. Well, I got the torch and have yet to straighten it out.

There is a little more body roll on turns but nothing severe. Of course, if you drive like a teenager this could be VERY unsafe. Being as my teenage years are long ago I haven't had a problem. I just drive the vehicle with in it's limits.

With that said, my wife doesn't like driving it now. But that has to do that she needs a little stool to get in it to begin with. And that is with only a 2" body lift and her being 5'2".

Old 04-11-2009, 11:04 PM

well ill take it out and see how i like it i am a teenager but i do drive each vehicle diffrent ya have to know what i can and cant do and i save the crazy stuff for the woods or on the derby track

Old 04-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You never know what can happen out on the road. If you know how to handle the vehicle in an emergency with the sway bar off or disconnected, that is one thing, but I do encourage you to test the limits of the vehicle in a controlled environment so that you know what it can and cannot do if you need to. A lift and/or larger tires will cause more roll without the sway bar in there as well so more things to consider.

You just have to be careful and know your vehicle. To recommend someone leave it out without knowing how they handle their vehicle...