Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

torsion bar questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Beginning Member
ChevyRacing88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default torsion bar questions

Ive seen some other blazers around town and they look like they are sitting alittle bit higher than mine, and i understand if i crank up the torsion bar it should be me like another inch or so, i jus want a few more inches, nothing huge, if i were to crank it up, would it do any damage to the suspension or anything? and also how do you "crank" the torsion bar??

Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: torsion bar questions

There will be two bolts on the torsion bar, one on each size. To lift it simply drive the bolts in, to lower you loosen the bolts. No you aren't doing any damage to the suspension thats what the torsion bar is there for. Depending on how cranked up yours are will depends on the amount of lift you will get.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

from your other post about the squealing belt, it appears you have a 98. however, i dont know if its 4wd or 2wd (put your truck info in your signature ).

assuming its 4wd,
if you look at the lower control arms on your truck, there will be a large bar (outlined in red, pic below) about 4ft long running the length of your truck (one for each side)

if you follow the bars as far back as they go, you will see a crossmember that runs perpindicular to the frame where the bars attach. there are two bolts sticking out of the crossmember. turning the bolts clockwise will lift the truck and turning them counter clockwise will lower the truck.

as far as suspension wear, yes, cranking the bars affects the front suspension. cranking the bars effectively lowers the LCA's away from the frame, the CV shaft angles will increase and can put more stress on the ball joints... as to how much damage will actually be done depends vastly on the way you drive it.

there are quite a few threads that go into more detail so searching will answer wuite a few questions too.

damn, brett beat me to it while i was looking for pics.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to clarify the statement that Brett made. You will shorten the life of suspension and drivetrain components in the front end with too much lift. You can safely lift it around 1.5" before you will potentially damage the ball joints and front halfshafts. Pushing it to 1.75" may work, but trying to get to 2" is where many, many people have had major issues, stock or aftermarket keys.

And that isn't mentioning the change in ride quality that will happen.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

And that isn't mentioning the change in ride quality that will happen.
just curious does that stiffen the ride or soften it?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

It will stiffen your ride.. Makes it ride rough.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

yep, stiffen it!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 PM
tjwiens91@hotmail.co is an unknown quantity at this point

So crankin you torsion bars is kind of a min lose. You get extra ride hight , but yet you get a rougher ride an the parts wear out faster. Dont know what to do!!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Just do it! If you change your mind you can just let the bolts back out. But I went up 1.25' or so and after about 70 miles blew out my passengers side CV half shaft. Could be from the 100k miles already on em, but who knows! Also speed bumps are an absolute PITA. Once I replace my shocks I'm sure the ride will be bit better. The extra height is real nice, and the level appearance is great too! That's why I say just go ahead and do it now

Old 03-08-2008, 10:02 PM
95BlazerLt4wd is an unknown quantity at this point

i just finished cranking mine 2" give or take a few days ago. time will tell what happends.

Quick Reply: torsion bar questions