Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Will 31s fit with wider rim?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road
Default Will 31s fit with wider rim?

I have been going back and forth with different ways to lift the blazer and mostly because of money Ive been thinking about a 2in body lift with 1.5 shackles and about 1in torsion bar crank. My question is will 31s fit without major problems on a 16x8 rim with a 4 in offset?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

With that amount of lift I wouldn't see you having an issue. That 4" backspacing will help a lot.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 PM

Well Im just skeptical because they are 2wd rims so they stick out a bit. They are the zq8s (might be 4.5 offset) and Im just worried they might rub.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They should work, but may rub at full steering lock in either direction. The problem with decreasing the back spacing is that the wheel travels a wider arc when you steer. This gets the wheel closer to the front and back of the wheel well (typically worse at the back/firewall).

Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

With almost 4" of lift though you should be ok. As Kyle said you may still see a bit of rubbing at full lock, but overall you should be ok.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM

I don't mind a little rubbing at full turn really just don't want anything that causes damage. If I didn't already have the rims I would do something different. And its only like 3inches of lift cause the rear end sags a little so maybe I should do 2in shackles but still keep it at about 1in upfront.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Im going to have to disagree. You will very likely still rub. I have 4.5'' of backspacing and 4" of lift, only 30x10.50s with trimmed fenders (back of the wheel arch near doors) and they still can hit the fender more frequently than you would think. Mostly if Im loaded down (friends in the back seat), getting alot of suspension compression (driveways and what not) or any of these with close to full lock steering. Annnd you're talking about going with an inch less of lift than I have, slightly bigger tires, and the pointy fenders

For the most part you with day to day driving you will be fine, but if youre constantly driving around alot of people or hauling stuff, or if you offroad, you're goign to get some fender impacts.

Originally Posted by Sisk
With that amount of lift I wouldn't see you having an issue. That 4" backspacing will help a lot.
Like Kyle was saying, the 4'' of backspacing is actually the problem. From reading other's posts, it seems like 5'' of backspacing (ZR5 rims) is enough to keep the tire off the sway bar, but still not so wide that you're hitting the wheel arches with turning or suspension compression.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:59 PM

Thats kinda what I thought. I was gonna run 245/75/16 which is 30.5 because that is the closest to 31s General offers without going over. Idk what to do now maybe i should sell the rims and get something with a more favorable backspacing.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:06 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Oh no you should definitely keep the rims and the tires

I didnt mean to scare you, just dont want you to expect to never touch the fender!

Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 PM

I want to keep the rims. I dont have the tires yet so im flexible with the size still. I just really dont want to do any damage. And there really isnt a 30in tire for a 16in rim offered by general.

Quick Reply: Will 31s fit with wider rim?