Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

‘00 2 dr blazer won’t start after radio installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 11:16 PM
Caleb Murray is on a distinguished road
Question ‘00 2 dr blazer won’t start after radio installed

just installed a new radio! Had not completely wired all the speakers and had to make a run to the store so i electrical taped all my loose wires! Plugged all my dash components back in and was on my way ran inside Walmart for ten minutes and the car won’t start, no click, no turn over! Still have power to everything else. I Pulled the dash apart radio out made sure
black-ground
yellow-power
red - ignition
blue - antenna power
Were all connected correctly as well as double checking the light controls plugs, 4x4 as well as the rear windshield wiper. All are plugged in correctly, i have also checked all the fuses and disconnected the battery to let the cpus reset, Any ideas?!

Old 12-24-2017, 12:26 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Someone here recently had an issue with an intermittent no start that ended up being a loose connection at the battery. He had undone both terminals while doing some other work but only re-tightened the positive side. The negative size was only on loosely. Easy enough to do a quick check.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:25 AM

Terminals are tightened all accessories still work/have power so i don’t think my issue is at the battery!

Old 12-24-2017, 07:38 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

security system or blown fuse

Old 12-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Starting Member
'93BLZR is on a distinguished road

Just try putting a charger on the battery and see what happens. The radio could have drained it very quickly while you were in the store

Old 12-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Since you sound like you know what you're doing with the stereo install. I believe it could be a coincidence. Check the starter itself for power and if so give the housing a tap while someone turns the key to start. If it starts with a tap, drive it to where you're going to replace the starter before shutting the truck off.

Been there. Every part that wears out on mine I think "How did I break that from all the way over here?"

Old 12-24-2017, 03:26 PM

I’ve tested the starter that’s not the issue I’m thinking a fuse or the security system is my problem if it’s a security lockout how do you resolve that issue?

Old 12-24-2017, 11:48 PM

When the VATS (vehicle anti theft system) is activated the engine will turn over and run for a couple seconds then cut off. No crank rules out the factory alarm as the problem.

If the starter and fuses are good the next thing I'd test is the starter relay in the under hood fuse box.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:07 AM

I've checked the relay as well!

Old 12-26-2017, 12:31 AM

The relay works and you've verified 12 volts at the fuse box yet no power at the starter?

Quick Reply: ‘00 2 dr blazer won’t start after radio installed