Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Low beams acting like highs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 AM
Beginning Member
blazindude is on a distinguished road
Default Low beams acting like highs

So I recently bought new bulbs as one of my lights went out. Problem is, my low beams are acting like highs. I realize new bulbs will obviously be brighter, but I noticed they do seem angled a little high. Stock ones on my '01 xtreme lasted a solid 11 years, never had any problems with anybody thinking I was constantly running my highs till I switched 'em.

I also recently changed out the shocks all around and put on the cheap gas-o-matics. Don't know if that maybe changes the height of the rear of the vehicle thus changing the angle of the headlights, but I now do regret going for the cheap fix and plan on changing those out soon.

I noticed on top of the headlight fixture, there appears to be an adjustment screw. Not sure if this is actually what that is, but I tried turning it and no movement. Tried some pb blaster on the screw and no dice. Before I try and keep working on that screw, is there anything else I should know/try?

Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Simple problem. Install your headlight assemblies correctly & the beam height will be returned to normal. You installed them without putting the lower tabs through the slots in the radiator core support and now the assemblies are pointing towards the sky.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I think swartlkk may be right. done it myself...
I bought cheap e-bay low beam bulbs that had the bulbs attached crooked to the bases. I could adjust the low beams so they were correct, but then the hi beams were out to lunch. switched to Sylvania and they were near perfect. lesson learned...

Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Beginning Member
blazindude is on a distinguished road

That was exactly it! Me being a dummy, didn't install the fixture correctly and it was them bottom tabs. Literally a two minute fix. Really appreciate it guys.