Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1998 Jimmy Blower Motor Wires get very hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member
Timmer48 is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Jimmy Blower Motor Wires get very hot

I have a 98 GMC Jimmy. I noticed the wires were very hot to the touch, on the blower motor. There are three wires. Third one is is the ground wire. Now I noticed it is not attached properly to anything. Could this be the cause? And where should it be attached to?
Thanx in advance
Tim

Old 07-10-2013, 07:53 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

Could be, pic would be a little help though.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:02 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

It could very well be a bad ground and is a quick and easy place to start. You can fix the existing ground. You can also add a heavier gauge ground wire and use a star washer to make good contact. Or do both. But the hot wires can also mean there is an internal problem in the blower motor. ....blower motor going bad, bearings in motor going bad, other internal components shot. Hot wires could mean there is a high current draw.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:17 AM
Beginning Member
Timmer48 is on a distinguished road

Thanx for the info. I think I already fixed it. I attached that ground wire to the metal body and so far, it's only slightly warm to the touch. Not hot like it was.
Thanx
Tim

Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 AM

Related condition? I have a 2003 Blazer 4WD and the panel with the switches for the hot/cold temp, blower speed 1-4 and the AC/HVAC gets extremely hot to the touch. It that a bad fround or a bad switch? How hard is it to remove that panel with the three switches?

Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

It's not too hard to remove. Just pull on the surrounding trim carefully to pop out the clips. Don't worry about taking it all the way off as that part is a big pain, just do enough to get to the HVAC control screws. I believe they are 7mm bolts and there are just a couple. Take those out and you can move it around to get the front off. There may also be some vac lines attached so be careful there.

Finding out why it's getting hot may be more difficult though. I'd remove the front panel from the HVAC (it just clips on) and see where it gets the most hot or if you can see any damaged wire traces or components.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the help, Thogert. I will post when I get a chance to work on it. I will have to get some strong 'skeeter repellant. The recent rains have spawned a thirsty swarm. I noticed this hot panel when I put my hand on the radio **** to adjust it and my fingers accidently hit the panel. I will first ground the Blower relay under the hood near the firewall. Then go to the panel in the dash.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:12 PM
greendesign is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Newbie fan switch smokes

On my 96 s-10 blazer, the 0-3 fan switch has smoked twice. I pulled the panel and could find no signs of the wires melting. did a test run and it ran fine (of course) I suspect the control moduel is quite expensive, could it be the blower resister? It only is a problem on lowest speed, other speeds run fine. Any ideas??

_ no one knows as much as everyone_

Last edited by greendesign; 09-07-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Default Fix for hot blower switch in speeds 1-3.

I was trying to fix my blower switch to get blower speed no. 4, (I have speeds 1-3). Per advice from Capt. Hook, I added a better ground to the underhood relay for the blower. This is the one mounted to the firewall with one bolt, near the auto trans dipstick. I used a heavier gauge wire and an 'eye' terminal. Once I did this, although I didn't get the 'lost' no. 4 speed, but I did notice a significant reduction in the panel heat around the cabin switch for the blower motor. Capt Hook recommends using a solder joint on this added grd, not one of those crimp on splices.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Greendesign and others with blower motor switch problems, I wanted to share with you the tests that Capt. Hook sent me for my problems with my 2003 Blzr 4WD and no speed no.4 on blower. He is getting me to see if the problems is the blower relay or the relay ground. I quote Capt. Hook:

Yes, the high blower relay is located on the firewall.

With the electrical connector unplugged, this is what you should find:
The connector has 2 orange wires:
One should show battery voltage at all times.
The other orange wire should show battery voltage with ignition in RUN position, MAX AC selected, and blower speed on HIGH.
Black must show less than 5 ohms resistance to ground at all times.
Purple wire feeds the blower motor on all speeds. It should show less than 5 ohms resistance to the connector at the blower motor.
Blue wire is for all speeds except HIGH. If speeds 1 through 3 are working, the blue wire is OK and no need to test it. 'End of Quote.'
This guy could write the manual on Blazer's.

Quick Reply: 1998 Jimmy Blower Motor Wires get very hot