Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1999 Gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM
Buckster is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Gauge issues

I've read alot about this issue and no it's my turn to experience it. All my gauges were working fine and now I have no temp, fuel or PRND123. Yes ALL fuses are good, under the hood and in the side of the dash. Broken solder somewhere on the back of the cluster? Puzzling thing is if you pull the gauge fuse the PRND123 comes on but still no temp or gas gauge? Any ideas??

Old 08-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Beginning Member
owneroperator is on a distinguished road

I had this issue in the past and took it to the dealer who tried to sell me a new gauge cluster. Funny thing is, after they reassembled everything back together again problem never reappeared. Then last week problem resurfaced. I had noticed that shutting the drivers door started this situation so once I just pushed the door button on the side of the dash and everything went haywire. I'm at a loss also. By the way, my overhead console also goes numb when this happens. All I get is the compass reading.

Last edited by owneroperator; 08-10-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:04 PM
Buckster is on a distinguished road

I did take the cluster out and inspect it for broken solder which there was none, and at this point I refuse to buy a new one because I don't think thats the issue ( I may be wrong ) I did find a broken ground strap from the filler tube which goes to the frame by the one evap module at the back crossmember but have read thats just for refilling purposses with static electricity. The search to fix the issue continues

Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Beginning Member

As I write this, mine is at a shop (NOT the dealer) to take care of it once and for all. I did try the gauge fuse trick and it worked... for about 30 seconds! It also happened just when lowering the tilt wheel into position. The shop had mentioned possible causes could be something in the ignition switch (although how that would only affect some gauges and idiot lights and not all escapes me) and a bad ground off of the gauge cluster. Hopefully the search will no longer continue but end quickly. And none too soon!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Ricco is on a distinguished road

Looking at a dashboard schematic looks like all your grounds for those gauges and gear selection are grounded together but of course having different signals for its corresponding feature, with that said if all other lights including MIL and ebrake etc are on when IG switch is to on position, would make me think is the ground connection going to them, perhaps loose, broken, corroded or something. Do you have the chitons or Haynes book?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:53 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

The ignition switch is known to be a culprit in these trucks. A couple I've read have been able to take care of it by cleaning the terminals. But most had to replace it. The reason the ignition switch can make things go funky is because of all the items that are controlled with the ignition in the "ON" or "RUN" position (check out the link below). Unfortunately I can not tell you how to test the switch.

Duralast/Ignition Switch LS948 at AutoZone.com

Old 08-13-2015, 09:37 AM
Beginning Member

I do have a Haynes manual. Perhaps I should've been more specific about which idiot lights are staying illuminated. Starting in the center and going from left to right, the ABS, security, air bag, 4WD, battery and low fuel lights are on. The 4WD works, the volt meter shows 13+ volts and of course with a fuel gauge showing E, the low fuel light should come on. So those lights are not on because they're doing what they're suppose to do. There is another issue with them, along with the temp and fuel gauges not working. I should've taken a pic before dropping it off at the shop. When I get it back, I will be sure to post an update.

Update: Got the Blazer back today. After 2 days at the shop, it was determined that the seat was the cause of my problems. Somehow they figured out that sitting in the seat would make everything go haywire after about 8 seconds. Get out of the seat and problem disappears. Did it 9 times in a row so they pulled out the drivers seat (which had last been out 46 months ago for reupholstering) and went to town checking all of the wiring as far into the harness as they could. Nothing obvious seemed to jump out at them so they buttoned it back up. The upholstery shop did add some padding in the seat cushion (because of normal sag, not because I'm fat!) and maybe that is somehow affecting the seat heat wiring. That would be the only thing I could think of. And since I'm the only one who drives it, the seat never even moves. I will definitely keep my eye on things to see if this reoccurs. Cost for all this: $0. Yup, not even their standard diagnostic fee. I hope this helps point you in a positive direction Buckster. If you also have the power seats, I would start there.

Last edited by owneroperator; 08-13-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Gerardo Lopez is on a distinguished road

My 02 blazer has the same problem fuel and thermostat Gage's plus PRND123 lights are out but if I only turn the key half way the PRND123 lights come on but immediately shut off when I turn the vehicle on from these post I gather it may be my ignition since I sometimes have to jiggle the key to get it to turn am I on the right track?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:03 PM
Ricco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gerardo Lopez
My 02 blazer has the same problem fuel and thermostat Gage's plus PRND123 lights are out but if I only turn the key half way the PRND123 lights come on but immediately shut off when I turn the vehicle on from these post I gather it may be my ignition since I sometimes have to jiggle the key to get it to turn am I on the right track?
When you say " u have to jiggle the key" do you mean ur key feels like its stock and u need to jiggle it to move it to acc and on/crank? Or u mean it goes all the way but doesn't do anything unless u jiggle it then it starts?

Old 01-11-2016, 11:08 PM
dfarms11 is on a distinguished road

did you fix this? I'm having the same issue

Quick Reply: 1999 Gauge issues