Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

1st gen Jimmy HVAC lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012 | 10:55 PM
|
Beginning Member
Matthew Hayes is on a distinguished road
Default 1st gen Jimmy HVAC lights

Hey folks. I had a question regarding the lights in the HVAC control unit in my 1993 GMC Jimmy SLT. I've seen a few pictures where the HVAC is lit up and I've never seen that in mine. I'm assuming the bulbs are dead unless there is a specific fuse for them(anyone know?). Now I consulted my manual to find the right bulbs and stuff and found only this: https://i.imgur.com/baAyg.jpg

Does anyone know what bulbs it takes? It says two of them but I have no idea which ones to get.

Also does anyone have any tips or a guide on removing the HVAC unit to replace said bulbs?

Old 07-09-2012 | 11:23 PM
Beginning Member
jwalker1992 is on a distinguished road

well is says there are two bulbs of the same type behind your controls im not 100% sure but i belive to get to the controls you pop off the trim that you see around them it runs all the wat you the other side where your controls for your lights are im thinking iot just clips into place and once removed there should be 4 screws holding the heat and ac controls into your dash unscrew them slowly remove them you should see where the small bulbs go into it take them out and have your local auto parts store match them up with new ones should be a simple task but if you have any trouble just ask

Old 07-09-2012 | 11:56 PM
|
Beginning Member

I'll try. I guess I have to wing the disassembly because I can't seem to find instructions or a guide anywhere. I found a guide of someone taking it off on a Syclone and a Typhoon but they're a bit different screw pattern wise. I should be okay, but I heard taking the HVAC off is hell

Old 07-10-2012 | 01:34 AM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough

Sy/Ty are the same.

Remove the power mirror swith if equipped (2 phillips screws); there's 2 more phillips screws that hold the HVAC controls on. Pull it out enough to get to the bulb sockets - you do not have to pull it all the way out, the sockets both just twist out and are on the same wiring harness. The bulbs are 168s. Test the new bulbs before reinstalling the assembly to make sure they work.

Pretty simple.

Old 07-10-2012 | 01:41 AM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by RetroBlazer
Sy/Ty are the same.

Remove the power mirror swith if equipped (2 phillips screws); there's 2 more phillips screws that hold the HVAC controls on. Pull it out enough to get to the bulb sockets - you do not have to pull it all the way out, the sockets both just twist out and are on the same wiring harness. The bulbs are 168s. Test the new bulbs before reinstalling the assembly to make sure they work.

Pretty simple.
Awesome, thanks. It was indeed the power mirrors switch that was throwing me off.

One question though, do I need to take off the dash trim first? I think the screws for that are underneath the dash around the steering column so I guess I could figure that out. Thanks for the bulb number. That's a huge help.

EDIT: Oh and this isn't terribly important but do you know the bulb number for the two dome lights? One of them is out. I can just take them out and go into advanced auto if not. While on this subject it reminds me that I would like to get new lenses for the dome lights as mine are stripped and cloudy. I'd like a more clear replacement. I can't find any on LMC or anything, and a junk yard will just yield me with the same thing. Clearish ones would be awesome. Not sure if you'd call it the dome light or reading lights. Probably reading lights.

Last edited by Matthew Hayes; 07-10-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2012 | 05:02 PM
|
Beginning Member

Okay I managed to get them changed. I'll write up a little bit about it in case anyone else is wondering the same thing down the road.

First, the bulbs behind the HVAC unit were NOT 168 bulbs. 168 was waaaay too big. I got some 2723 bulbs and they worked just fine.

It's actually really easy to take the HVAC unit out enough to change the bulbs. You can leave the dash trim on.

First you need to take the two Phillips screws out of the power mirror control if equipped.

Then you need to take the two Phillips screws out of the bottom of the HVAC unit.

Then pull the HVAC unit out as far as it can go (not much) and you will see two plugs on the side closest to the passenger seat. Mine had grey wires. Do not disconnect any wires or anything.

You cannot pull them straight out but instead need to twist the entire plug and they will pop right out and have the lights in them. The lights pull straight out.

Installation is the opposite of removal obviously.

But yeah I used the 2723 bulbs as a guess because I couldn't see the old writing on the stock bulbs and advanced auto did not have them in the system. There was another set of bulbs that looked like they would fit too (73 I think) but I just tried the 2723 bulbs first and they lit up fine.

I did buy some 168 bulbs for the reading lights on the overhead console however, and they were correct.

Old 07-13-2012 | 01:11 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I swapped mine to 10mm leds but the correct bulb for the hvac is t11.

Firm supporter in leds, they last forever, don't burn the plastic due to heat, and use no power.