Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2000 2wd 4 door blazer will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Starting Member
crumbsnatcher is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 2wd 4 door blazer will not start

I have a 2000 Blazer that was repaired by a mechanic. I am not sure what the mechanic did to cure my misfire problem. He is a friend, so he drove it for three or four days to make sure it performed properly before returning it to me. I drove it home from his house, aprox. 7 or 8 miles. Ran good. A few days later we took it out to go to a friends house. It started and ran fine until I got to the 1st stop sign just a few short blocks from home. It sputtered and died. I got it started again. I went another few short blocks and the same thing happened. I decided to go back home if possible and get another vehicle. It died on me again. So, after getting it started for the last time, I chanced running slowly thru a few stop signs just to make it home. When I stopped at home it died again and would not start again.
The engine cranks just fine, but will not hit at all. I even tried starting fluid. Even with starting fluid, the engine will not hit at all. It seems to be an ignition problem. I have a Chilton manual, but the photo of the ignition coil in the book does not resemble, the one in my vehicle. That is one of the items I wanted to check, among others. The book is not much help. I used a good scan tool on it but got no codes other than on the ABS speed sensors. Please help!

Thanks, The Crumbsnatcher

Last edited by crumbsnatcher; 06-13-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What work has been done to the vehicle previously? I assume a full tune up was performed. The reason I ask is because it has been proven time and time again that the use of a number of aftermarket ignition components has led to a premature return of the original symptoms or worse. These trucks prefer the AC Delco cap, rotor, and spark plugs.

If the engine cranks, but does not start, check out these threads:
Engine Cranks But Does Not Run
No-Start - Engine Cranks OK - Ignition System Diagnosis

In regards to the location of various components, I created this thread some time ago:
96+ (SCFI/MFI) Component Locations

All accessible through the Tech Article (DIY) Index.