Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2000 4dr brake lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Beginning Member
Dodgeman is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 4dr brake lights stay on

Ugh it came back.

My Sis's Blazer has a new issue. Brake lights wont go out. Left turn don't work.

I pulled the brake switch and the brake light still being powered from somewhere.

Confirmed brake light switch Is go and re-installed. I thought mebbe the CHMSL relay might be fused, But this is a SUV not a pickup, and it supposedly has no CHMSL relay, At least not in the fuse block! The molding has holes for it to sit, but no wiring is there!

I pulled the vechmsl fuse and the top light go out, Leaving me to believe it isn't being fed from there. I yanked the 40a ign A fuse and the lights went out, and then I verified the brake light switch working normal.

So, with the 40a fuse back in the brake lights are still on, until I pull the ltturn fuse and rtturn fuse and both lights went out.

Now, I see two choices.

1. my multifuction switch is toast (turn signal/hazard)
2. An unseen/unknown replay for the brakelights , Like a CHMSL relay is backfeeding my brake lights.

I looked passenger side, only thing there is turn flasher., in under hood fuse block Chmsl was never there, and all other relays accounted for....

I am reading mebbe it was place up under the middle brake light, above the roof panel? I hate to pull it down to find nothing. any one see this before?

thanks

Dodgeman

Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Before you did all that, why dont you check the bulb first, pull the bulb out, replace it with a new one.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Beginning Member
Dodgeman is on a distinguished road

pull out which bulb, all which are working??

I cant get the lights to go out, is the problem.

I am still staring at the multi switch.

turn and brake light share same circuits. If the brake light switch isn't feeding the brake lights, Doesnt leave much else.

But on this orphan-baxxxxxd vehicle, I can be wrong. its probably wired to the Cam Position sensor, Which I havent re-learned yet. Ha ha.

Dodgeman.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:17 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

Did you recently replace any modules recently?

try this

Disconnect the multifunction turn signal switch and the high mount stop lamp (CHMSL) relay (pickup only) and test for a short to voltage in the following circuits. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems:

• CHMSL supply voltage
• Stop lamp switch signal

Last edited by 05BlackJimmy; 11-04-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:20 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

sorry double post

Last edited by 05BlackJimmy; 11-04-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:49 PM
LovelyGreyEyes is on a distinguished road

Im having the same problem i got a 1990 s10 blazer and i replaced the hazard/signal switch disk thing and the problem still persists maby bad flashing relays? feeding power to lights?

Old 02-15-2023, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member
Phil Manwarren is on a distinguished road
Default i have a blazer

Originally Posted by 05BlackJimmy

try this

Disconnect the multifunction turn signal switch and the high mount stop lamp (CHMSL) relay (pickup only) and test for a short to voltage in the following circuits. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems:

• CHMSL supply voltage

it says pickups only i have a blazer any other ideas?

Old 02-16-2023, 04:29 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 05BlackJimmy

try this

• CHMSL supply voltage
what do you mean Disconnect the multifunction turn signal switch unhook the conectors from where ignition switch is or no ?

Old 03-15-2023, 10:54 AM
Beginning Member

this is problem im having n the back my left side brake light my left side tail light and my left side backup up light works and my left side blinker works

right side

my right side brake light don’t work and my right tail light works and my

right blinker don’t work and my right backup light works

if i put power to the right side yellow wire the brake light works and if i pull the fuel pump relay the brake stay off for a bit and if i push on the brake peddle the fuel pump kicks on and the is only ground on both sides of my LT turn underhood fuse

Old 03-15-2023, 07:36 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

How do you know that the fuel pump turns on when you press the brake pedal? Have you verified this with a fuel pressure gauge?

George

Quick Reply: 2000 4dr brake lights stay on