Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2000 blazer left directional has to be held down to work

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Beginning Member
tjmicsak is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 blazer left directional has to be held down to work

I've had this blazer for a few years. It always had a problem where I could not simply hold the left turn down partially for momentary non-locking use though the right would work as it should allowing this.
Now it has gotten worse. It still latches when switched to a left turn, and the handle releases normally as it should operate, but it does not make electrical contact on the left turn use. I have to click it down AND hold it down with the weight of my hand holding the lever down PAST the normal latching position for the light to operate. It seems that whatever is used for the contact has "dropped" so that the signal only works with me manually holding the lever at it's very bottom of travel.
What do I do to fix this?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Beginning Member

Anybody?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the problem change when you fiddle with the hazard switch in the top of the steering column? If so, you may be able to just replace the hazard switch by itself and not the entire multi-function switch.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 AM
Beginning Member

I tried popping the hazard switch while the directional was "clicked" down and also wiggling the hazard switch but no change and no affect.

What ever is used to make contact for the direectional has slowly moved requiring the directional arm to be moved more and more over time for the signal light to work.

It doenn;t look like I have any option than to change the multi function switch so I'm looking for a "how to" to get that completed.

I'll note that some time back the hazard switch went bad and I replaced it using the pull out and pop in method posted somewhere here. There was a caution at the time that might work but cause issues eventually down the road. That is likely where I am at.