2000 Blazer Map Light Switch - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

2000 Blazer Map Light Switch

Old 08-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member
PSS-Mag is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Blazer Map Light Switch

I didn't find anything on this with a search on here. Hope it hasn't been covered yet.

I have one map light button that does not even feel like there is a switch behind it.

I have not tore in to it yet. Thinking maybe get to this Thursday maybe.

I have yet to beable to find a part number for a new switch, can't find any information about how to get to the switch and replace it. Please tell me I don't have to buy an entire overhead console for this one switch.

Any leads or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-08-2018, 06:47 PM
Beginning Member

Looked around a little before work this morning and I can see the switch and it's confirmed I need a switch. Thought maybe it would just pop out but looks like better is a set screw behind it holding it down. I don't see any screws holding the console up. So is this thing just help up with clips?

Map Light switch

Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Beginning Member

Problem Fixed

I was unable to locate a new one or even a part number to beable to order one online. So today I went to the local U-Pull It.
Cost me $2 to enter. $5 for the switch so $7 total.
This also allowed me to experiment with how to remove the overhead console. If I broke something not a big deal I just won't do that to mine when I take it down.

There is 3 screws holding it up. One in the very front up by the windshield. Then 2 behind the dome light. Be ready to catch it when you remove the last one.
I did the one in the front first so the weight of the console didn't hinge on it and risk breakage.
Once removed, unplug the 2 connectors. One for the lights and one for the compass/thermometer.
With the console in your hands and still upside down. You will see multiple fasteners around the outside edge. On the 97 that I took it out of they were #2 Philips. On my 2000 they were I think #4 torx.
Once you remove those, open the door furthest on the back. The big shallow compartment that I am not sure what you could ever put in there and be convienant. Once that swings open the plastic part and upholstered part separate.
now you can see all the switches and connections.
To remove the switch simply slide it to the rear. I cut the wires and spliced in the new one with solder and shrink tubing. Slide it new switch and assembly and install is reverse.

Happy Blazing folks!!!
Good luck!
Keep the lights burning and the tires churning.

Last edited by PSS-Mag; 08-09-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:41 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Nice write up.

The overhead console is one of the few things on my Blazer I have yet to mess with.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 PM
Starting Member
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Before super glue and after super glue.

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Blazer Map Light Switch-file-5-.jpeg   2000 Blazer Map Light Switch-file1-1-.jpeg