Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

'95 Blazer randomly dies, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '95 Blazer randomly dies, won't start

Twice in one week this has happened, leaving me stranded and waiting for tow trucks! "Check Gauges" light comes on (with everything else) and I coast to the side of the road. It will not restart.
So the first time I guess the 'fuse assembly' was fried. Bear with me, I'm not a mechanic, so obviously someone else is doing the work...And the dist. cap replaced, spark plugs etc. So I'm driving it home from the shop and it happens again!
I DID have a new stereo installed (Best Buy) about 3 weeks ago. The only difference, on those two occassions I was using the AUX input on the stereo for my Zune and you have to turn the volume up louder (goofy ratio)...would that draw more power?? Because that is the only thing that has been associated with the two instances. That doesn't really seem logical to me, but then again....
The mechanic drove it around WITH the stereo on (he didn't the first time), yesterday and NO problems. They took apart the dash and everthing was 'fine'. He also said it started right away after it had sat overnight after the tow. I don't trust that it isn't going to happen again and I don't want to get stranded!! Any ideas?

Last edited by Talusgirl; 04-20-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: More facts: Picked it up yesterday, the guy took it four-wheeling, had the stereo cranked and of course no problem.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:49 PM
Beginning Member
Digital Daze is on a distinguished road

I have heard of people having problems with the wiring in the steering column. Might be something to check.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Another thing: I asked him (mechanic) about the ignition coil, and it HAS been replaced. Three fuses were blown though. Is it possible the the stereo is too taxing on the trucks original wiring?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Beginning Member
Digital Daze is on a distinguished road

Not unless it is like a really large system.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:28 PM

It happened AGAIN last night! Luckily I the foresight to get a box of fuses. The #9 fuse was blown. I replaced it, took the faceplate off the stereo ( just in case) and twice on the way home the "check gauges" light flickered-the precursor to the dreaded stall. Is there a diagnostics test to find the source of this?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Starting Member
Magmotor is on a distinguished road

Has an alarm system been installed on this car? If so, it may have crossed wires with the installation of the radio and that will give you all kinds of problems. The best way to find out what's wrong is to start eliminating systems. Pull the fuse on the radio (AUX) and drive around for a while too see if it happens again. If it does, put a fuse back in and pull another system. The Owners Manual should tell you what fuse goes to what system. If the check light came on it should throw a code. Find out what it is and follow that. Hope this helps a little.....