Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

96 Blazer add Driving Lts w/relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Starting Member
AnnaMarie's96Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Blazer add Driving Lts w/relay

I want to add driving lights using a relay. I want the lights to come on with the Hi beams. Can anyone tell me what wire to ge the hi beam signal from and where it's located? DRL's work off of the hi beam bulbs, this is making it seem hard to me...help! Thanks.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have sealed beam (4x6 glass housings) or the composite (2 separate bulbs)?

I'm thinking you have the composite. Here is the schematic for the composite headlamps in '96:

When the headlights are off, the DRL relay supplies +12V to the ground side of the driver side headlight. The power side of both headlights is connected to each other, but not to power which results in series operation of the bulbs and the lower light output.

As far as where to wire them... I'm pretty certain that the voltage on the light green wire at each of the headlights will read ~6V after the voltage drop through the driver side bulb and therefore not trigger a +12V relay. I don't know what effect having +6V at the relay would do over time, but you probably should be wiring a switch to the ground side of the relay anyway so you could cut them off during the day and then back on when you want them at night.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Starting Member
AnnaMarie's96Blazer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Yes I do have the composite headlights and they are so dim. I'm wondering if there is a 12v trigger for the relay at the DRL relay? You know coming from the high beam switch to the DRL relay. Any thoughts?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at the schematic above. There is no +12V trigger independent of the wiring for the headlights that is used for DRL operation.