Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Best HID ballast install location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014 | 09:23 PM
|
Beginning Member
CanadianaBlazer is on a distinguished road
Cool Best HID ballast install location?

Title says it all, just hooked up some 10,000K HID's and am struggling to find a suitable location to mount the ballasts. Would love to hear where you guys have, cheers.

Old 01-02-2014 | 10:48 PM
KerbyG is on a distinguished road

I don't know why you need 10,000k, but hey, not my truck. I bolted mine to the inside lip of the fender in the engine bay to where they're actually inside the fender, so as not to be seen during an inspection (some guys will stop the inspection if they see them because they're /technically/ illegal). My ballasts have about a 6" lead for the AMP connectors, and im running D2S projectors, so I used AMP to D2S converter, which gave me another 10" of slack. Nice and tucked away from prying eyes and most importantly, the elements. Good luck with your 10,000k, bro.

Old 01-02-2014 | 11:11 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Yay more illegal hid gaudiness on the streets.

Old 01-02-2014 | 11:52 PM
|
Beginning Member

Relax guys, yeesh. Ive upgraded the headlight housing aswell so's not to blind people. Anyways thanks for the help, I think? :s

Old 01-03-2014 | 12:16 AM

Its not even a matter of blinding people, which, unless you're running true HID projectors, you more than likely will. The higher Kelvin you go, the less visible the actual light is as night, and especially in the rain. Anything over 6,000k is really pointless, and anything over 8,000k is practically useless. Its a safety hazard for both you, and other drivers on the road. If you want that "cool blue look" like /a lot/ of people who buy HIDs are trying to achieve, just go with 6,000k and call it a day. They're plenty blue, and you will actually have lights that function like they're supposed to.
Not trying to be harsh, just trying to pass on important info that tends to get over looked all too often.
So again, good luck with your 10,000k, bro.

Old 01-03-2014 | 01:20 AM
|
Beginning Member

I will enjoy them very much thank you, and with all the good luck you keep sending my way I'm apt to win the lottery! Cheers

Old 01-03-2014 | 01:48 AM

If you do win the lotto, buy projectors to retrofit into your so called "upgraded headlights", throw away the 10,000k's that you've already wasted your money on, and get some good bulbs that will actually be useful instead of just for show on your riced out truck. But hey, if tacky is what your going for, don't let me hold you back, but if you get a ticket, and your truck possibly impounded over your lights, don't say I didn't warn ya, kid!

Old 01-03-2014 | 11:17 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Yeah what Kerby said. 6k is about right as it nicely balances the 4k of street lights. 10k lights makes one look childish.

Old 01-03-2014 | 11:27 AM

And I'd only go 6000k if you want a blue tint. I run 5000k in mine, and light up the road for half a mile ahead of me with crystal white light. Granted, I have projectors.

Old 01-03-2014 | 03:01 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

4300k has the most lumens.. That being said... Mount them to the fender, I dont have to worry about inspection so I did not have to hide them.
Just mounted right to the inside of the fender on both sides.

Quick Reply: Best HID ballast install location?