Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Brake lights always on unless blinker is turned on

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 03:12 PM
tms19691 is on a distinguished road
Default Brake lights always on unless blinker is turned on

All three brake lights are on unless a blinker is turned on, then the brake lights go off temporarily. Any ideas, thanks in advance. 2001 Blazer

Old 01-11-2022, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tms19691
All three brake lights are on unless a blinker is turned on, then the brake lights go off temporarily. Any ideas, thanks in advance. 2001 Blazer
Do the brake lights pulse with the blinker or do they turn off completely?

George

Old 01-12-2022, 08:20 PM

Thank you for the reply. So I went outside to verify and now the brake lights are off and I have no blinkers at all. Could this be a ground issue?

Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

By blinkers do you mean turn signals, hazard lights or both?

George

Old 01-15-2022, 09:32 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Just an fyi, the blinkers and lights all run through the four-way emergency switch on the steering column. These have a tendency to break and fail. Especially if you had to take the dash bezel off. They tend to break the top off the switch and make it so it doesn't stay in place. Not that this is NECESSARILY what is wrong but it does cause similar problems. Also check the switch on the brake pedal. If it is stuck it can cause the brakes to stay on. But if everything is out it might be something else. But these are two to check into. The emergency switch on the steering column can be pulled out with a small screwdriver. There will be a small notch you slide the screwdriver in to get the tab loose. These are easy to replace...IF you can find one at a junk lot. They are so easy to replace anyone who knows will usually pull one or two out as spares for later.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:19 PM

Great. I appreciate the information. The problem seems very erratic and changes each day. I order the entire multifunction switch and going to try that. Since I can get lights I assume grounds and stuff are ok, so hopefully the switch is the issue.

A bunch of other codes just popped up, so I think the guy I bought it from must have just cleared all of them. The air pump, TCC and engine lean codes. So now I have a lot more to figure out. thanks again!

Originally Posted by cage47
Just an fyi, the blinkers and lights all run through the four-way emergency switch on the steering column. These have a tendency to break and fail. Especially if you had to take the dash bezel off. They tend to break the top off the switch and make it so it doesn't stay in place. Not that this is NECESSARILY what is wrong but it does cause similar problems. Also check the switch on the brake pedal. If it is stuck it can cause the brakes to stay on. But if everything is out it might be something else. But these are two to check into. The emergency switch on the steering column can be pulled out with a small screwdriver. There will be a small notch you slide the screwdriver in to get the tab loose. These are easy to replace...IF you can find one at a junk lot. They are so easy to replace anyone who knows will usually pull one or two out as spares for later.