Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Bunch of problems after replacing engine

Old 02-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Beginning Member
lancelot136 is on a distinguished road
Default Bunch of problems after replacing engine

ok so I am new to this forum, I have looked around and many say there is lots of info. to be had, but I think my issues might be a little rare.
I have a 1991 S10 Blazer, bought new, BUT it's now 21 years old and besides that had sat up with a blown engine for about 5 years.
A friend (don't you just love them) suggested a mechanic, so I contacted the mechanic, and he said the block was cracked, but that he had another engine he could install for about $500.00 p/l.
Well I am now in over my head at $2000.00+ and it only took an additional 4 years to get it back. (really not all his fault, I am on a limited income and had to pay when I could.
I got the Blazer back the other day and the mechanic said it needed to be driven to work out the kinks since it had sat so long, it has a definite valve tap, poor power and now the reason this post is in this section, the only gauge that works on the dashboard is the oil pressure gauge, no amp, no water temp, the fuel gauge reads 3/4 full when you turn on the key, then goes down slightly before spiking out of sight above full,(I know it only has less the 5 Gal.of gas in it) the turn signals work but the left and right signal indicators both stay on(dim) all the time, the head lights work, but no windshield wipers, (he said he thought the motor was burned out) but yet when I turn on the motor hums, so I think it is a matter of the wiper arms are either rusted or stuck.
Needless to say I am not a happy camper! and when I asked about the gauges he said he does not know much about wiring( hmm wish I had known that).
I checked under the hood, and found several wires just hanging there but have no idea where they go to, several go to a ground block (for lack of a better term) on the firewall left of center. I would post pics but don't think I can yet (Newbie).
He said if I was not happy after driving it for awhile he would replace it at no cost. Yeah I know!
I have tried to find vin #'s on the engine but can not find numbers that add up to 17, the vin number. other yes but not a 17 number combo. Wanted to find out what this engine came out of.
I know, I know I could of had a completely rebuild engine for less that what I have in it now, but take into consideration, he replaced the battery, the tires, new gas tank, new radiator new alternator and some other parts I can't think of at the moment.

he did not use my intake manifold or carb, (don't know why need to ask that yet).
After all of this history, can someone give me a clue as to why the gauges are not working, a diagram, or schematic would help.

Please don't say " I got some water front property in Nevada for sale" I know I got ripped, raped etc but now I need to see what I can do to fix these problems. any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road

Aside from the problems with the accessories, you have a $500.00 platform to rebuild on. Whatever you do don't go back to that guy. Find someone that has rebuilt a motor which is still running without problems. If anyone calling himself a mechanic cannot do wiring problems he will need a mechanic.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for replying, $500.00 platform? I was really taken back when he said he didn't know about wiring, that was a stunner.
An update, took a close look yesterday and found the the temp sensor was never connected, and the connector for the blazer does not fit the sensor, and he did not leave the old connection attached so I could splice the wires (damn).
Also found that the air breather cover does not fit tight, gaps so dirty air can get in.
Where there must have been a mechanical fuel pump he removed to pump but never covered the hole where it was, I understand there is an after market plate for this purpose.
I also noticed that when you turn on the headlights it effects every one of the gauges on the dash, when you turn on/off the lights the oil pressure gauge jumps up and down from 40 to zero, the speedometer jumps, as does the water temp that is not connected to the sensor. I just wonder if I would be better off getting some after market gauges, (fuel), (oil/water/volt) as well as a speedometer and not worrying about the stock dash gauges? might be easier to do then to try to trace what must be a short, and just disconnect all of the dash?
I am going to have to also chance out a lot of vacuum hoses as he never replaced and that are dry rotted.
Found a antifreeze leak where the thermostat goes.
Over all I am at my wits end and am wondering if i might contact a lawyer, but then they are all crooks too so I'd just be out more money.

Would anyone know what engine's stock valve covers were green, because that is the engine he put in the blazer, I am having a hard time (because of Rheumatoid arthritis) finding the vin # on the engine block, also a very dirty engine does not help, you would think he would have cleaned it up some if for no other reason just to make it easier to handle.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default I feel for ya, but.

Seek out a good honest mechanic.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member

LOL I thought I was getting one, but got fooled , so much for asking friends lol

Old 02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Beginning Member
Default Not bad for 21

Here is a pic of the 1991 S10 Blazer I am working on, guess you can see why I am really wanting to get this baby on the road again. I know should have cleaned the tires first

Attached Thumbnails Bunch of problems after replacing engine-012.jpg   Bunch of problems after replacing engine-013.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Beginning Member
98huntergreenblazer is on a distinguished road

Take the Blazer to somebody you know personally. You'll know it was done right if you actually know the mechanic and he knows what he is doing. Or if you want to take the time do it yourself. You can do better than that lazy goof did