Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

can you tell if AHL sensor is bad???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 AM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road
Default can you tell if AHL sensor is bad???

this headlight situation is bugging me. the low beams stay on constantly, i was told by a mechanic that the ahl sensor in the speaker grill could be bad. making it thing the lights are off all the time keeping the lows on everytime i start it regardless if its day light or not. would there be a way without me having to go out and buy the part #12450120 and ending up wasting money on it?

that part aint cheap
is there an inline fuse, or relay that couldve went bad. because all the sudden it started happening. ive tried researching it and im aware of the resistor trick and the dome override but i want a permanent fix

any help is better than none...

Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 AM

thoughts? anyone?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:03 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

hit up a u-pull yard and ****** a sensor out of one there

Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 PM

but if that doesnt work. which i dont think it will..what could it be? im still lost on how the hids in the lows affect the standard halogens in the highs which are where the drls run out of (highs).i actually disconnected both hids and turned the truck on and no lights turned on and it was in daylight.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 AM

actually think i found a solution that i just tried. i took out the ahl sensor in the speaker grille and in its place put in a 2.2k ohm 1/2w resistor. the hids instantly stopped comming on 24/7 (which is what my original goal was) i checked all blinkers and hazards and highs and everything worked fine. my drls do not come on which has me lost because but i dont mind. im hoping this can maybe help someone else trying to override the ahl feature.

but the way im looking at it, i believe my auto headlight sensor has gone bad and next time im at the junk yard ill pick one up and try it

Old 09-01-2013, 02:31 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I was going to say, HID's HATE DRLS and AHL. So, I can tell you its not the sensor, I was not aware that you were working with HID's. I could have just read your signature LOL

Old 09-01-2013, 04:00 PM

im fine with how i made it work. i even tried bending pin 86 on the drl relay, the hids stayed on. so i figured id take a stab at disabling the ahl sensor with the resistor. actually im not sure if the drls come on because i need to take it out of park for them to even activate right?

Old 09-01-2013, 05:08 PM
BF Veteran

That I am not sure for the drls. I thought they just come on when the truck is on? LOL

Old 09-01-2013, 05:24 PM

of course i never paid attention to them before until they stopped coming on. but i was sure when the car was in park they went out, but when in gear they came on lol. yea with my hids i had no problems with them for 3 years, thats why i assumed the sensor had went bad because to my acknowledgement the drls were never bypassed given they ran out of the highs which are still halogens

yea i got cheap i figured id try the 20 cent resistor before i bought the 20 bill sensor, i just hope i remember to turn my lights on haha

Old 09-01-2013, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran

You will notice if you have your lights on or not, you have HID's, it will be black as night without them on LOL

Quick Reply: can you tell if AHL sensor is bad???