Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Can't remove upper brake light

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default Can't remove upper brake light

Not the regular, screwed-into-the-top LED kind though...

Found a Jimmy Envoy this morning and since my third brake light hasn't worked in ages, I thought I might try this one. I couldn't find any attachment points underneath and even after ripping all the hatch panels off to pop the rear glass, I still didn't make any progress. No interior screws or clips to be found. I tried prying up on the actual black plastic shroud and it seems to be attached to some plastic (maybe metal? can't really tell) clips that are attached to the glass itself. I tried removing the actual light/reflector from it but it's too large to pop out the back.

Anyone here have one or ever removed one?

May run back later and just remove the rear glass entirely

They also have a nifty air compressor inside. Anyone know what all is involved with it? Like where the air tank is and what runs it?

Edit: On second though, this may be the fitting for air shocks? I know that some models came with a small compressor but I seem to faintly remember some talk about factory air shocks as well. :shrug:

Last edited by mdehoogh; 02-19-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The air compressor is part of the RPO G67 automatic leveling rear air suspension package. There is no tank. Just a direct drive single stage piston pump that would pump up air assist shocks.

I would get the whole glass if you can swing it. The plastic on those rear trim pieces can be brittle. There should be bolts that go in from the underside.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

hmm.. you wouldn't happen to know if the glass is interchangeable between the liftgate (envoy) and drop tailgate (mine) models would you? The hinge on the envoy was closer to the rear of the truck and more visible than mine. If the hinge brackets can be removed from the glass then I may just grab the whole window but something tells me its not going to be that simple...

Might be best just get a light that's meant for my truck but there's no fun in that

Old 02-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they are swappable.