Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM
bigblueblaze is on a distinguished road
Default car wont start

This morning when I went to leave I went out and started my blazer like normal. Everything seemed fine and it started right up. it sat for about 15 seconds before I put it in drive after driving about 15 feet I lost ALL powe. so I turned the key to the offposition and when I did a clicking noise was coming from behind the passenger firewall. So I didn't think anything of it and went to turn the key and again absolutly nothing had power. I don't think is the battery because it is new. But I donthave a clue any ideas where to start trouble shoting would be nice.

Thanks
Austin

Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
msmith22 is on a distinguished road

The clicking noise coming from behind the passenger kick panel is your engine control module receiving a signal to start the vehicle. When it continuously clicks and doesn't turn over, its generally because it isn't getting enough, or any power at all from the starter. I would check the fuse block under the hood and make sure those are all good, (mainly the ecm fuse). But I can almost guarantee you that either the battery doesn't have a charge, or check to make sure the battery posts are on tight, sometimes with a new battery it takes a few snugs to get the threads to lock in properly (providing its side mount). Defiantely sounds like a connection problem between the battery and the ignition system.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:10 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by msmith22
The clicking noise coming from behind the passenger kick panel is your engine control module receiving a signal to start the vehicle. When it continuously clicks and doesn't turn over, its generally because it isn't getting enough, or any power at all from the starter. I would check the fuse block under the hood and make sure those are all good, (mainly the ecm fuse). But I can almost guarantee you that either the battery doesn't have a charge, or check to make sure the battery posts are on tight, sometimes with a new battery it takes a few snugs to get the threads to lock in properly (providing its side mount). Defiantely sounds like a connection problem between the battery and the ignition system.
Not really.
Click is more likely the starter. If it sounds sorta like a single turn signal click, that's a relay. If it's more a 'clack', it's starter.

Turn lights on and watch them while trying to crank. If lights dim, a primary.. perhaps battery terminal... problem.
Check all battery cable connections, positive and ground, both ends

Last edited by pettyfog; 11-10-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM
bigblueblaze is on a distinguished road

My lights do not come on. There is nothing on as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the help.
Austin