Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Chevrolet Blazer -98 key fob problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Beginning Member
Läyskä is on a distinguished road
Default Chevrolet Blazer -98 key fob problem

Hi everyone!
My car is a -98 Chevrolet Blazer s10 LT and I have quite annoying problem with it's key fob.
I changed the battery for key fob and after that keyless entry haven't work at all.. So I cant start the car..
I have tried to sychronize fob by the manual and I also have tried to reprogram it by using the unlock+on/off+on/off+unlock up and fobs open and lock together, but nothing happened. Car wouldn't react at all. Locks didn't cycle or anything else didn't happen. When I turn ignition to "on" mil and security lights show up and they stay at the dash.
Tell me someone what can i do next with that car to get it running. Hope you undestand my "rusty" English..
Thank you for advance

Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
redcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, as a matter of interest do you have to use the remote to turn off the security on your Blazer all the time? The other thing is check that the contact that wraps round the side of the battery in the remote hasn't come loose from the circuit board.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 AM
Beginning Member

Yes I have to press open button at fob to open door and disconnect immobilizer or what ever it's called. I have two fobs which came with car. Only one has been used during my ownership. Both fobs seems to be Ok by looking. I tested with am radio and got signal only from another fob.
I noticed at the fib that worked earlier that the little metal"wrap" was loose. I gently soldered it back. Even fob that gave signal to am radio doesn't work. Car just won't react at all no matter what I do. I there any way to disarm the immobilizer? Another than ecu reprogramming..
is there any way to "reset" ecu by diy methods?
In Finland it's quite expensive to have ecu reprogrammed.

Last edited by Läyskä; 02-25-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

I am not real knowledgable on this problem but it may be passlock feature is your problem.
Does your key look like this?

If it does, and you didnt have starting problems before - if you did then ignition switch could be the fault- then you should do a passlock relearn:

Here's the short method:
Passlock Reset - S-10 Forum

If that doesnt fully work, here's the full method:
How do you reset the passlock on a 1998 chevy blazer - JustAnswer

Note what I said above.. There's a circuit involving the key cylinder and the Body control module that affects passlock and when the BCM is changed, you must do a passlock relearn.

Once that is done or the passlock system is fixed then you can relearn your fobs.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-25-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Beginning Member

The key look different than in your picture. there's no passlock in my car.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:34 AM

Sounds like the security system on your car is the same as the UK one, press unlock and it unlocks the doors and disables the security. If this is true you could be in trouble, the only way to program the remotes to these cars is with a special scan tool, I presume like here in the UK there aren't any Chevy dealers who still have the equipment. I have one working remote on mine and two spares that I can't get programed, but cross my fingers every time I unlock it and hope it's still working.
There are reports of one or two auto electricians over here who can remove the security system, but it's not an easy job, I haven't found one yet.
Suggest you recheck the soldering, soldered in three places, centre and both ends, mine stopped because of this but it didn't lose sync with the car. double check that the battery in it is fitted correctly and is ok.
If you find a way round this problem please post details on here, quite a few UK drivers would like to know.
Sorry can't help any further.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Beginning Member

I have asked around and found at least one guy who can reprogram ecu and disable security device wich blocks starting the car. This is a permanent thing abdul it wont solve my problem with door remotecontrol.As far as I know my car is european version. Next thing is to call to finnish Gm-importer and asked what to do.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Läyskä
I have asked around and found at least one guy who can reprogram ecu and disable security device wich blocks starting the car. This is a permanent thing abdul it wont solve my problem with door remotecontrol.As far as I know my car is european version. Next thing is to call to finnish Gm-importer and asked what to do.
Yes it seems the european Blazers all have this system then, at least you can use the car and get into it with a key and start it if the security system is disabled. I could put up with a lack of central locking. Please keep me informed.
Adrian

Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Beginning Member

No I haven't disable security yet, because it is not cheap. I still try to find a way to solve this really annoying problem. I dont believe that there's no way to solve this thing without tampering security system. After all were just talkin about computer in car..

Old 02-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member

Hi!
Today I sent ecu to the guy who can reprogram it so that theft deterrent is disabled at all the time. I also have to install new rke module so i can get remote controlled locks working with new remotes. Only thing I loose is remote controlled tailgate. I write more about experience when I get ecu back and car runnig. Propably some time next week. This seems to be very common problem with european GM products. I've heard that there are dozens of chevy vans in Finland only which have same problem. This guy who I found is onlyone who can reprogram ecu without it's been hooked to a car. hope this reprogramming does the job...

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Blazer -98 key fob problem