Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Dark spots in projector headlights Pleas help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 10:18 PM
Maverick338369 is on a distinguished road
Default Dark spots in projector headlights Pleas help

Hey everyone, I have a problem. I've got a 2000 blazer and I bought halo projector headlights . The problem I have is these dark spots. I've got 5000k hids and this is what it does. Is it something on the inside of the lens or just bad projectors? If it's the projectors, can anyone recommend a good set of halo projector headlights? I've had this problem for a while and am about tired of it . Thanks for any help.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:35 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I have never seen ANY aftermarket projector headlights that have projectors in them that are worth a crap... They're made purely for looks and not light output.

I've seen people take those headlights, open them up, and install REAL projectors into them (even the cheap eBay $30 projectors would be better, but the Morimoto Mini H1 style is what you're after) and have great results.

Honestly, you'll be better off with stock headlights, or even just the non projector style aftermarket clear lenses lights.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:14 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a set, as well. I will be hooking them up once it warms up, along with a new grill, turn signals, and custom fog lights.
Tell me, what did you wire the halos to....the park lights, turn signals..? I'm trying to figure out the best way to go.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:17 PM

I really like the way these look . But like you said, the projectors are crap. I don't know how to go about replacing the just the projectors without damaging the lights themselves . I've done a pretty good bit, but I've never messed with headlights like that. Can you give me some pointers and also where I can find those H1 projectors you're talking about? I'll take an upclose pic of my headlights tomorrow when it's daylight so you can see what I'm working with . Which if you look on eBay at the spec d angle eye led halos, you'll see them anyway. Lol

Old 11-30-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
I recently purchased a set, as well. I will be hooking them up once it warms up, along with a new grill, turn signals, and custom fog lights.
Tell me, what did you wire the halos to....the park lights, turn signals..? I'm trying to figure out the best way to go.
Honestly, I wanted mine on all of the time once the truck was on. Kinda like some of the newer vehicles, so I used an add a fuse circuit and wired it into that, then added it to a fuse that gets power all of the time when the truck is on in the fuse box under the hood . It's not as bright as you would think . Kinda sucks actually, but its there. Now, I haven't checked to see if it needed more voltage or not, which could be the case. Just haven't gotten around to it . Now if you just want them on when the lights are on, I'd suggest using and add a fuse circuit in the same way ,just with the parking light fuse . Someone may know a better way, but that just seems safer to me and it . Just depends on when you want them on as to which option you take. The add a fuse you can find at most parts stores .

​​​​

Last edited by Maverick338369; 11-30-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick338369
I really like the way these look . But like you said, the projectors are crap. I don't know how to go about replacing the just the projectors without damaging the lights themselves . I've done a pretty good bit, but I've never messed with headlights like that. Can you give me some pointers and also where I can find those H1 projectors you're talking about? I'll take an upclose pic of my headlights tomorrow when it's daylight so you can see what I'm working with . Which if you look on eBay at the spec d angle eye led halos, you'll see them anyway. Lol
I used these in my wife's 2010 Elantra headlights that I built. 55watt HID 6000k bulbs in them, throw more light on high beams then my Blazer does with a 50" LED light bar across the roof and a 24" bar on the brush guard... not even kidding the least bit...

And my old 2001 Corolla

Almost as good of a beam pattern as the $100+ Morimoto brand projectors I used when I built the headlights for my Tacoma

I've already got a set of Morimoto's that I plan on throwing into a set of new headlights for the Blazer, if I ever get around to ordering the headlights :P

It's not an easy job cracking them open, at least not the first time. But after a few times it get's easier

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 11-30-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 PM

blazen_red_4x4, those look really good. And it looks like a lot of work too. Lol I think I'd be willing to take on the challenge if I can just get a good starting point and some direction . Here's the lights I have and would want to change the projectors on. As far as getting them open, I've seen and read where you can put them in the oven to heat up the seals to help get them apart . I just don't know what temp or how long. Also I'm not sure how to seal them back without making a mess . Lol

Old 12-01-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I have never seen ANY aftermarket projector headlights that have projectors in them that are worth a crap... They're made purely for looks and not light output.

I've seen people take those headlights, open them up, and install REAL projectors into them (even the cheap eBay $30 projectors would be better, but the Morimoto Mini H1 style is what you're after) and have great results.

Honestly, you'll be better off with stock headlights, or even just the non projector style aftermarket clear lenses lights.
Are these the ones you're talking about?

Old 12-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick338369
Are these the ones you're talking about?

Yes, I have an exact set of those sitting in my garage waiting to retrofit them into some new headlights, whenever I get around to ordering them :P But the cheaper $20-$30 eBay ones are dimensionally identical, certainly a lower build quality (metal reflector bowl and plastic lens holder, vs the all metal construction of the Morimoto's), but they seemed to work great the 2 times I've used them despite the lower cost.

About getting them open, some people use a heat gun, but I've always used the oven method. Preheat to 200-220 degrees, turn the oven off (very important step), open the oven and lay down a baking pan or a sheet of cardboard to keep the light from sitting directly on the oven rack, then insert the light into the oven (lens up), and let sit for 7-10 minutes so it fully soaks in the heat. Then pull it out and get to prying the lens off.

Google "HID Planet", there's a lot of good write ups on there about the process.

I've found this image on Google some time ago and it's the result I'll be going for. Basically a headlight that in the end will look "stock", as if it came with HID projectors from the factory.

I'll be putting them in some of these. Close to stock look, still very aftermarket, but no flashy LED rings or halos or anything like that on these

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 12-01-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Yes, I have an exact set of those sitting in my garage waiting to retrofit them into some new headlights, whenever I get around to ordering them :P But the cheaper $20-$30 eBay ones are dimensionally identical, certainly a lower build quality (metal reflector bowl and plastic lens holder, vs the all metal construction of the Morimoto's), but they seemed to work great the 2 times I've used them despite the lower cost.

About getting them open, some people use a heat gun, but I've always used the oven method. Preheat to 200-220 degrees, turn the oven off (very important step), open the oven and lay down a baking pan or a sheet of cardboard to keep the light from sitting directly on the oven rack, then insert the light into the oven (lens up), and let sit for 7-10 minutes so it fully soaks in the heat. Then pull it out and get to prying the lens off.

Google "HID Planet", there's a lot of good write ups on there about the process.

I've found this image on Google some time ago and it's the result I'll be going for. Basically a headlight that in the end will look "stock", as if it came with HID projectors from the factory.

I'll be putting them in some of these. Close to stock look, still very aftermarket, but no flashy LED rings or halos or anything like that on these

Thanks for the info. And that actually looks like a great idea . I can't help it though. I really like the halos . Although I wish I could upgrade those too . Lol I'll check out that site . I'm just still curious on how to seal them back and as to how to wire them up since I'm using hids. I'm sure I'll figure it out some how . I'll just have to order them and get the headlights apart and just try it and see . Lol

Quick Reply: Dark spots in projector headlights Pleas help