Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Dash and headlights flicker while accelerating.. Engine dies ocassionally

Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road
Default Dash and headlights flicker while accelerating.. Engine dies ocassionally

im boggled but i need your help. I do all city driving and cant be stuck in the middle of the street causing traffic again.

I know its gonna happen when the engine starts low or has trouble turning over. The other day it was very very low start. thats when it dies in the middle of the street.

Today i had a lil trouble starting. when i began accelerating the dash lights and headlights flickered heavily. Only when i accelerated. when i sat at idle at a red light it was fine but with a low idle. I pulled over and shut it off. it wouldnt restart until i sat for five minutes.

i have 92k miles and i am waiting on parts from autozone. I ordered a pickup coil, ignition coil, ignition control module, distributor cap, and rotor. Plugs were done a year ago and wires 3 years ago. The battery is new and alternator is old.

Tomorrow i will check the grounds when i get home from work but will like to know what grounds are usually the problem and if there could be another cause that my purchases will not address.

I also idle rough. Its pretty shaky at idle. i thought it was because my muffler is a glasspack and maybe rumbeling a lot but ive noticed the feeling more as the engine runs wayyyy quieter at idle... Any suggestions. And noone reply to get a new truck. I had a blazer logo stiched to my a$$ since birth.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you driving?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

X2 what rridle said & I'd check grounds for sure like you said (ground to the fuse box under the hood for sure!<--- personal experience on that one)
all the ignition replacements sound good, maybe a fuel filter, check fuel pressure & see if it drops with only the ignition on - use search for that in here, kyle has replied to quite a few.

sounds like a couple issues, not just one thing causing all the issues - but it's Monday- all damn day

good luck

Old 05-02-2011, 10:46 PM

im driving a 2002 ls 4door

Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 PM

ill check the grounds tomorrow when i get out of work. hopefully i get to work without an issue. fuel filter is good. replaced less than a year ago with the bp oil spill i didnt want sea weed in my engine lol. i will inform when all parts are in and grounds are cleaned.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

A missing ground to the fuse box was a HUGE issue with my '02. All the relays had + power so what was the matter? It wouldnt fire, crank or get fuel. We thought the immobilizer (insurance thing) was fubar. Nope, just a simple ground that gave the relays 12v- power to actuate. Could (hopefully) be something similiar for you with the recent ignition switch swap.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member
4.3l trouble is on a distinguished road

kinda obvious post here but id also check your charging volts should be around 14V. I used to have a Saturn that did the same thing it happened to be a bad belt tensioner at idle it would be fine but when accelerating the belt would slip. sometimes its those small over looked problems that cause the biggest headaches

Old 05-03-2011, 03:17 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

I`m gonna have to agree on the charging of the system, check the battery charging and do a load test,,, If an altenator goes bad the battery will run the veh for approx 15 minutes b4 dying..flickering could be the altenator, my truck was doing that and it was the altenator .

Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM

im going to look into the belt tensioner ... its very old n worn. Autozone here i come lol

Old 05-05-2011, 06:21 PM

i pulled the alt and put another used one in. voltage is holding better as i add load.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash and headlights flicker while accelerating.. Engine dies ocassionally