Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Dash lights not working in 1990 Blazer/S-10

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:53 PM
Katsuo is on a distinguished road
Default Dash lights not working in 1990 Blazer/S-10

Hey everyone,

I have a 1990 Blazer/S-10 and I installed a single din radio kit last year. The day that I made the installation, I noticed that I had no working dash lights at night when I would flip on my headlights. I am pretty sure that I caused this issue by putting the new single din harness in and reconnecting some of the wires incorrectly, however I can not be positive. I have already checked the fuses and they are all intact, and I am almost positive that the dash lights didn't ALL burn out the moment I made the installation.

I can include a few pictures of the wiring harness if needed - there are a few loose wires that I am almost positive did not connect to anything previous to the radio installation, however I am becoming more unsure of it as time passes. There is a gray and gray/black wire coming from behind the glove box, as well as a smaller blue wire.

Thanks in advance!

-Katsuo

Old 08-11-2016, 10:24 AM
JMac63 is on a distinguished road

My dash light quit in my 1997 Blazer. Appears the dimmer for the dash lights died and took the fuse with it. Replacing both the dimmer/dome light switch and the fuse fixed it. I later tested the old dimmer and confirmed it was the culprit. Hope this helps.
- JMac63

Old 08-14-2016, 08:26 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

my first s10 was a 1983 s10 blazer and it did the same thing. i cut all the wires spliced in my new sweet cassette tape deck i just bought and yep lost my dash lights. so figured it was something to do with the removal of the factory radio so re-spliced back in my factory harness and got my dash lights back. for some reason on the older s10s the dash lights ran through the factory radio.

i didnt have the internet back then to search the problem, try googling around you might have to jump some wires or something along those lines

Old 08-14-2016, 09:17 PM
JMac63 is on a distinguished road
Default Really odd stuff, easy to fix once found

I haven't replace this old tape deck yet.... but I"ll keep that in mind.

Here's one for you: after fixing the dash lights I suddenly had no power locks. Then after checking fuses, followed by pulling and checking switches, I had no power windows either. So, I had power to the fuses, fuses were good, switches tested good, continuity from fuse to switch. WTF. Long story shorter, I got ready to go behind the fuse block, even pull the dash apart again. But first unscrewed the panel from the side of the dash (one screw behind the access door) for a peek. Both of those fuses, which are located along the extreme edge of the fuse panel, FELL out. I shifted the panel over 1/8" for more clearance and re-tightened the screw. Then had to rotate the non-symmetrical fuses (actually circuit breakers) 180 degrees to get the pins to fit properly. And everything works. The panel had to have been off center all its life since '97 with the fuses held in place by the pressure of the adjoining foam? sheesh.
Best to ya,