Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Delphi Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member
Blazer112 is on a distinguished road
Default Delphi Alternator

In general, what is the general opinion of the quality of Delphi Auto Systems Alternators? There is quite a difference in price between GM OEM remanufactored, Acdelco, Acdelco Professional and Powermaster (assuming they are the “best” by their pricing). I have used everything but a Powermaster and still can’t form an opinion.

Last edited by Blazer112; 02-05-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:13 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

following

Old 02-07-2019, 09:41 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blazer112
In general, what is the general opinion of the quality of Delphi Auto Systems Alternators? There is quite a difference in price between GM OEM remanufactored, Acdelco, Acdelco Professional and Powermaster (assuming they are the “best” by their pricing). I have used everything but a Powermaster and still can’t form an opinion.
I personally have always used original GM replacement parts on my 98 Blazer 4x4... I am not saying those other products you mentioned are bad or anything, I guess I like the piece of mind spending extra on parts that came from the assembly plant when it was built. I kinda think of it this way, "you get what you pay for"

Old 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you, your answer pushed me in the direction I was going anyway. I received my 2004 blazer Zr2 from my brother who bought it new. It was his first brand new vehicle so he really, really took care of it. I am rebuilding it from the ground up and have stuck with all OEM. The alternator really had me at a crossroads bc the GM OEM is $348(ish) and “others” were $98(ish). However, I have heard horror after horror story of installing non-GM parts especially when it comes to electrical. I split the difference and ordered a rebuild kit for my original alternator with a 40 amp upgrade for $104. The stock one is a Delphi which I’ve heard are a VERY good product???

Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member

My neighbor went cheap on an aftermarket ignition switch. Two years later, the battery kept going dead overnight. He went to garage after garage looking for an answer. After $2300 and 5 garages, they found the switch was somehow draining the battery even with it turned off. It was allowing power to somewhere it shouldn’t. New GM switch and problem solved.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 AM

My neighbor went cheap on an aftermarket ignition switch. Two years later, the battery kept going dead overnight. He went to garage after garage looking for an answer. After $2300 and 5 garages, they found the switch was somehow draining the battery even with it turned off. It was allowing power to somewhere it shouldn’t. New GM switch and problem solved.
I hear ya!!! Lots of people will buy cheaper replacement parts to save some money, but I just don't trust it lol! If GM could have saved money at the plant, they would have lol

Old 02-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Beginning Member

Very good point

Old 02-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road
Default Delphi are great but overpriced

I think Delphi ones are just great but overly expensive, and probably more expensive than they should be. I just replaced my Delphi one, and it was either original or had been on there at least 13years/100k miles (got a bunch of stuff done at once, can't remember if I got the alternator then too) so I sure can't complain. It was still putting out just fine too, just making a noise that was getting irritating.

I would have gotten another Delphi but they were like $260+, which is stupid money for an alternator IMHO for trucks like these. Even ACDelco remanufactured were $200+, so I wound up going with a Bosch remanufactured one from Amazon for $160. But hilariously, the box says Bosch and "remanufactured in the USA" on it but it still says Delphi on the housing and has a Bosch sticker on it, so apparently Bosch just rebuilt ones that were originally Delphi.

That's the "Bosch" remanufactured one on the right

Also, avoid ACDelco's 33 Professional Line (any model# that starts with 33x) since they're targeted to fleet vehicles and vehicles over 3 years old. In other words, they're cheap junk intended to compete with low quality no-name rebuilds. In fact, the whole $100-ish price point should really be a clue regardless of brand, you just can't make a good alternator for that even if rebuilding. You can make a good alternator or a cheap alternator, but not a good cheap alternator or they would have just done it in the first place.

Originally Posted by go chevy
I hear ya!!! Lots of people will buy cheaper replacement parts to save some money, but I just don't trust it lol! If GM could have saved money at the plant, they would have lol
Yeah, I hear you but that cuts both ways too: it also means they used the cheapest stuff they thought they could get away with, not necessarily the best. I'd definitely think carefully before going lower than GM/Delphi/ACDelco for anything important, but I've never heard of anyone replacing their speakers with more of those GM paper cone monstrosities.

Last edited by Rock18; 02-08-2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 02-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rock18
I think Delphi ones are just great but overly expensive, and probably more expensive than they should be. I just replaced my Delphi one, and it was either original or had been on there at least 13years/100k miles (got a bunch of stuff done at once, can't remember if I got the alternator then too) so I sure can't complain. It was still putting out just fine too, just making a noise that was getting irritating.

I would have gotten another Delphi but they were like $260+, which is stupid money for an alternator IMHO for trucks like these. Even ACDelco remanufactured were $200+, so I wound up going with a Bosch remanufactured one from Amazon for $160. But hilariously, the box says Bosch and "remanufactured in the USA" on it but it still says Delphi on the housing and has a Bosch sticker on it, so apparently Bosch just rebuilt ones that were originally Delphi.

That's the "Bosch" remanufactured one on the right

Also, avoid ACDelco's 33 Professional Line (any model# that starts with 33x) since they're targeted to fleet vehicles and vehicles over 3 years old. In other words, they're cheap junk intended to compete with low quality no-name rebuilds. In fact, the whole $100-ish price point should really be a clue regardless of brand, you just can't make a good alternator for that even if rebuilding. You can make a good alternator or a cheap alternator, but not a good cheap alternator or they would have just done it in the first place.

Yeah, I hear you but that cuts both ways too: it also means they used the cheapest stuff they thought they could get away with, not necessarily the best. I'd definitely think carefully before going lower than GM/Delphi/ACDelco for anything important, but I've never heard of anyone replacing their speakers with more of those GM paper cone monstrosities.
Great point! Those stock speakers are total junk!

Old 02-09-2019, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

..... I split the difference and ordered a rebuild kit for my original alternator.....
Pretty much what I did. I had the stock alternator rebuilt by a guy locally. Been good so far, I've put around 100k miles on it without any issues