Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Disable daylight running lights?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 PM
miller433 is on a distinguished road
Default Disable daylight running lights?

For several years I have played with the idea of adding a switch to disable the daylight running lights on my Blazer. I know I can put on the emergency brake before I start the engine but how can I disable this system so I can drive without my headlights coming on? People hate it when we go to the Christmas light displays and I can't turn off my headlights and drive at the same time.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:16 PM
mattspeesh is on a distinguished road

what year is your blazer?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:30 PM
mattspeesh is on a distinguished road

well i have a 1997 zr2 and i recently did an HID conversion which doesnt allow drl's due to burn out reasons. all i did was pull the fuse for the drl's and that was that.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 AM
Beginning Member
toohai2 is on a distinguished road

If I remember right, on my old 01 Xtreme X-cab, you could disable DRL by pressing the dome override button 5 x's quickly. So guess we need to know what year you have?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:16 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by toohai2
If I remember right, on my old 01 Xtreme X-cab, you could disable DRL by pressing the dome override button 5 x's quickly. So guess we need to know what year you have?
That only works for 1 run cycle. Everytime you turn the key off you have to do it again.

Look under the hood fuse panel and locate the DRL relay, remove it
DO NOT modify pins labled 87A or 30, bend or remove any other blade on the relay and reinstall.

DRL will be disabled.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:34 AM
miller433 is on a distinguished road

My Blazer is a 1999. I've tried the dome light over ride button and it doesn't work on my vehicle. I found this trick works on my wifes 2001 by mistake one night while driving.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:43 PM
gohead757 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue. I have a 02 blazer. So removing the fuse will disable the dlr's, but still allow me to turn on my lights using the dial? My dlr's run even when the dial is turned to the off position.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 PM
mychevyisntheavy is on a distinguished road
Default under hood relays ?

i hear everyone talkin about a under hood fuse box or relay i either dont have one or i cant find mine? its a 1997 ls 4x4, does anyone know of this ?

Old 10-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Beginning Member
Porkfist is on a distinguished road

Don't highjack other people's threads!

On a 97 blazer the fuse for the daytime running lights is in the fuse panel on the drivers side of the dash. You can only see it when you open the door. There is one fuse that only supplies the daytime running lights, pull it out, end of story. I don't recall the number.

I did this years ago because they annoyed the crap out of me, if I want my lights on I'll put them on.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:40 PM
gohead757 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gohead757
I'm having the same issue. I have a 02 blazer. So removing the fuse will disable the dlr's, but still allow me to turn on my lights using the dial? My dlr's run even when the dial is turned to the off position.
Just want to let everyone know that I tried the advice for the DLRs in this thread and it worked on my 02 4x4. For the 02 LS you do not need to bend any pins. All you have to do is pull the relay. This is great because i can just reinstall the fuse in case I need to sell my baby.

I didnt try to disable the auto-lights because I dont mind them at night. When I need to turn them off I just do the "dome override" trick mentioned above.

Thanks for all the advice good people

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disable daylight running lights?