Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

dome lights won't turn off...all sensors good

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 03:31 AM
Beginning Member
Talenmcd is on a distinguished road
Default dome lights won't turn off...all sensors good

hey everyone had a couple odd problems going on with my blazer recently, it's a 99 4 door 4.3 2wd. the first issue is the interior lights won't shut off unless I use the dome override switch. what I've tries so far is I pulled and tested all the door sensors and the control unit itself and put it in a 01 blazer I own everything worked fine in the 01 but when I reinstalled into the 99 it has the same issue. all fuses checked out ok.also has a remote start system if that helps.

second problem I closed the driver door while I had the handle pulled (dumb I know) it caused the door not to want to latch properly which I've somewhat fixed but it still goes back to messed up after a few closes on top of that the door now doeant want to lock properly if I hit the button to lock it won't mover if I manually lock it and close the door it unlocks. if I use the key it works oddly the unlocking feature is unaffected.

I'm kind of lost on these here, any help would be great thanks in advance.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:08 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Those two issues are almost certainly related. The S-Series trucks actually have 2 sensors for each front door. One push-pin style on the side of the dash, and a second that is part of the door handle itself. This will turn on the dome light when you lift the outside handle.

Your door handle & latch mechanism being bejiggered is most likely the reason your dome light won't turn off. Fix the door handle mechanism, and your dome light issue will be resolved too.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member

I wasn't aware there were 2 switches. I took the panel off today while lifting the handle. everything seemed fine, but power lock I'm getting very little response on the metal line inside the door is the lock mechanism adjustable at all. unlock still has a strong hit to it, I'll take it apart again when I have more time. also is there a switch in the rear hatch or is it the latch itself?

Old 05-01-2017, 01:46 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty sure on my 96 there was a push-pin switch beside the latch for the rear glass which signalled the dome light.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Beginning Member

Update on the issue, the door latching issue is now fixed. I found a spring hanging off and the entire latch assembly was cracked, threw in another one from a junker and now the door is perfect again. Unfortunately the lights still won't turn off any ideas?

Old 05-09-2017, 09:22 AM
BF Veteran

Are you sure that the dome override switch on the dash is in the off position? If so, double check each door, and the hatch. On my 96 4 door there was an override switch beside the hatch light. If yours has the same, turn that off and see if it makes any changes. You'll have to go through the process of elimination to check each door and switch to find the issue.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member

The override switch is in the off position.unfortunately I don't have a switch in the back of mine, I tested the doors with known good sensors from another blazer of mine as well as the override switch itself. I'm thinking it has to be the hatch but I don't see a sensor there.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:23 PM
broark2017 is on a distinguished road
Default Dome light stays on

I am having the same issue with my 2000 blazer 4 dr LT. All door switches are working (If each door is opened the security light in the dash will flash including the hatch and glass) but I do not see any switch for the hatch or the glass . The passenger switch has no wiring but the security light will flash when it is opened and the dome worked with it prior to yesterday. The drivers door will not lock with the lock button on the door panel or with the keyless entry. It does have the switches in the door handles so when the truck is locked if you lift the handle the dome would come on. I am using the override for now but this seems to be a common problem with many different cures.. Just haven't found mine yet! Also the radio used to play when I shut the truck off until a door was opened .. It goes right off as soon as I shut the truck off. I figure the door won't lock because of some safety thing . It all happened at the same time with mine.

Last edited by broark2017; 05-10-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Beginning Member

broark2017 mine was having the same lock issue as well and it turned out the whole assembly had cracked and I couldn't see it until I pulled it out. Oddly the light issue has resolved itself, not really sure how since it was still acting up after the new latch.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:37 PM
broark2017 is on a distinguished road

Talenmcd .. Whole door latch assembly ? Have you disconnected your battery since you changed it ? If so that's why the light's "fixed themselves" you reset the bcm .

Quick Reply: dome lights won't turn off...all sensors good