Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

DRL works but driverside high/low stay dim

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Beginning Member
hypedave is on a distinguished road
Angry DRL works but driverside high/low stay dim

2000 Chevrolet Blazer LT

Both passenger and driver DRL's work. When I turn my lights on the driverside low is very very dim. The passenger side High/low operate as normal. If I turn on the high beams then the high beam on passenger operates as normal and nothing comes out of the driver side.

I have replaced the DRL relay, headlight relay from engine fuse relay box. The fuses for right and left headlight are good. What am I missing? I was attempting to swap out the factory lights to halegen projectors when the problem started,. Did not have any issue prior to the attempted headlight swap.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

bulb or ground maybe

Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member

I have replaced both driver and passenger high and low beam bulbs. Where would I start with checking the ground?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member

Where is the headlamp ground relay located? A friend printed out some relays from All Data. That is the only relay I have not replaced yet.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Headlamps & DRL's use isolated ground side switching to control the bulbs. Each filament has its own separate circuit. As a result, the circuitry gets quite complex. The wiring schematics are specific for each year and with or without the ZR2 package. There are several relays used, and the circuits run through buss bars inside the underhood fuse panel, the multifunction switch and the BCM, (Body Control Module). Diagnosis will require using a DVOM, and a bi-directional scan tool is invaluable. Sounds like you have a broken wire somewhere or poor connection. Do you have a DVOM at your disposal? Are you proficient with reading and understanding it? Do you have a basic knowledge of DC circuits & relays?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Beginning Member

My 2000 Blazer is the LT trim RWD and not the ZR2 package. I don't have a DVOM, debated about buying one at Orielly today. I can read them ok. I just located where the Headlamp Ground relay is located. It was right in my face when I had part of the dash removed.

My next steps is replacing the driver side high and low beam connectors and replacing the headlamp ground relay. Was hoping to get this resolved today. I do alot of driving at night.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

First thing to check: Remove both low beam bulbs and check resistance on the yellow wire, (not yellow with black trace). Don't back probe the socket, go directly to the terminal in the headlamp connector. Resistance must be 5 ohms or less. Post your results.

EDIT: Your 2000 uses several relays for the headlamps, DRL's, and flash to pass feature, but it does not use a "grounding relay"... save your money

Last edited by Captain Hook; 11-17-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Beginning Member

Okay thanks will try do that after I purchase a meter. Sorry to change the subject real quick but what are this connectors that sits in front of the readitor? I have another connector similar to this with nothing attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
20131117_144031.pdf (1.66 MB, 93 views)
Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 PM

That's the ambient temp sensor for the thermometer in the overhead console.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member

Ok thanks, there is another pigtail adapter near it with nothing attached. Would that be the outside temperature sensor if my blazer was equipped with auto /ac?

Tried to upload a pick but it's to large.

Quick Reply: DRL works but driverside high/low stay dim