Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Dual batteries, under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough
Default Dual batteries, under the hood

So, in preparation for getting a winch, I'm beginning to plan for adding a second battery. I've pretty much got it all hashed out as to how it will be wired, isolators, big 3, all that. What I'm wanting to know is who here has installed one under the hood of a second Gen?

It's not an option to have in the back, I often fold down the seats for cargo room. What I'm thinking is the same spot driver side, as the factory location on the passenger side.

My windshield washer reservoir leaks, and the pumps don't work anyway, so it's already been removed. The air filter I'll probably change to some type of cone/inline, and run it on top of the driver inner fender. My abs pump is long since gone, so there's some room there. I do have an auxiliary fuse box about where it used to be, though.

So, if you got dual batteries, snap a pic, and post it up, to give me ideas!

Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Is a single larger battery not an option?

Old 01-25-2019, 06:19 AM
BF Veteran

If it was just for a winch, maybe. Although I've got the largest physical battery shoved in there that I can, now. I have to unbolt the radiator and slide it over to get it out.

The reason I want a second, is to be able to run lights, inverter, etc during camping trips, with no worries about not being able to crank the truck the next morning

​​

Old 01-25-2019, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by cleburne red
If it was just for a winch, maybe. Although I've got the largest physical battery shoved in there that I can, now. I have to unbolt the radiator and slide it over to get it out.

The reason I want a second, is to be able to run lights, inverter, etc during camping trips, with no worries about not being able to crank the truck the next morning

​​
If a second battery is only for peace of mind, then perhaps a lithium ion battery jump pack would solve that. But if your electrical demands are great enough that one battery is sure to never be enough, then I can see how having a second battery is a necessity.

Have you worked out an electrical budget for your truck? I did that for my small sailboat to work out estimates of the size of solar panel I would need to recharge my handheld VHF radio and run my navigation lights. Perhaps that could help confirm your need for a second battery?

BTW, this is the jump pack I got. I've used it a couple times to start my friends' cars. Really easy to use and you can keep it charged by hooking it up to a accessory power outlet in the truck while you are driving although it keeps its charge for many months: https://no.co/gb40​​​​​​​

Old 01-25-2019, 06:46 PM
BF Veteran

I mean, you make a lot of good points. But what you're not taking into account is the amount of offroad cool points I would get with a second battery lol!

I plan on adding some more lights, inverter, and a winch, at least. One could probably work, but I would feel better with two. Plus, I think it would be a fun project
​​​​​​

Old 01-26-2019, 10:52 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I mean, you make a lot of good points. But what you're not taking into account is the amount of offroad cool points I would get with a second battery lol!

I plan on adding some more lights, inverter, and a winch, at least. One could probably work, but I would feel better with two. Plus, I think it would be a fun project
​​​​​​
Neat project, keep us posted... I am lazy lol, I would hate too undo my alternator too be able too pull my battery out

Old 01-26-2019, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran

Hopefully I can start on it soon. I figure I want a winch as my next "big" purchase, and I want the charging system sorted out before that. I've already obtained some 1/0 welding wire, in black and red. Just need to make it to a junkyard and yank a battery plate, and see what it will take to work on the passenger side

Old 01-26-2019, 12:45 PM
BF Veteran

​​​​​​
Well, you GOTTA go for the cool points!

On a more serious note, have you considered a second battery that has a smaller form-factor or perhaps two more smaller batteries instead of the second battery being one full-sized (in dimension) battery?

Old 01-26-2019, 01:55 PM
BF Veteran

Hadn't thought of that. I want the second one to have at least as much capacity as the main, since I'm going to wire it such that I can self jump-start if the main battery dies.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:03 PM
BF Veteran

Hadn't thought of that. I want the second one to have at least as much capacity as the main, since I'm going to wire it such that I can self jump-start if the main battery dies.

After reading what your intended uses are, I would suggest that if you are not already familiar with it, you might look up what people do when they wire-up their multiple battery systems on cruising power-boats or sail-boats. They have faced and solved many similar problems.

Quick Reply: Dual batteries, under the hood