Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Electrical Blown out

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 02:32 PM
Beginning Member
likemytruck is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical Blown out

Had just repaired rear window defogger, picked up clip at junk yard. Hit the button, digtal dash blinked on then off, all power is gone to every thing , except when I open door dome light goes on. That's it. What did I fry! 1993 s-10 blazer with all the toys. Have checked all the fuses,ok, checked battery voltage 12 volt. What next, Happy New Year!!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Not sure on a '93 but my '02 has a fuse box under the hood & 1 on the left of the dash by the DS door. Just because a fuse doesn't look blown it still may be, I'd check them with a meter as you go to make sure.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Beginning Member

Were under the hood

Old 01-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a fuse box under the hood. Only one on the driver side of the dash. Did you test the fuses with a multimeter to be sure they showed continuity?

It could be that you tripped one of the circuit breakers which will reset once they cool provided that the short doesn't occur again. I would go over all of the stuff you altered and/or worked on with a fine toothed comb to make sure that you haven't inadvertently connected something wrong.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member

Dear Swartlkk,
1st. I want to apolgize for double posting. I read the rules ,but didn't read the rules.
At my age somtimes things don't set in,like they used to. I also thank you for your in put. I didn't even know my truck had circuit breakers. I will go back and double check every thing .Some of the electric asseroies are starting to respond. I ran a continuity tester on the larger fuses but not the smaller one. I was very upset, I have invested some money into my s-10, planning on restoring it.It has become my work or play from my regular work. Haven't played with cars or trucks since 70's.
Thank You Again
Andy

Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't look up your specific vehicle before I made the circuit breaker comment, but I know that many of these trucks have circuit breakers. But that would explain how a circuit comes back unless you had something overheat in the ignition switch contacts that have now come back to life. With almost everything being affected, I actually am leaning towards something shorting out the ignition switch.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Beginning Member

Mr. Swartlkk,
1 last question,will pick up chilton or order 1 if not at my auto store. Were is the exact location of the ignition switch on my 1993 vinZ
Thank You One More Time
Andy

PS.-Have everything removed from under steering colum-Please don't tell me I have to remove colum.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator

It is on top of the steering column under the dash near the firewall if I remember correctly.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member

I ran conntinuity test on fuses, all showed good. But the meter lied, my truck now has 30amp. circuit breakers and every thing is up and running. I should have replaced them 1st.Before I took every thing apart. I learned start with the simple things 1st.
Live and Learn

You are correct ,ignition switch was on top of column. Thank God it was good. To get to , is a knukle buster. I wear xxl gloves.
Thank You Again For All Your Help!
Andy

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-02-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member
Christobal is on a distinguished road

Sorry if my question is stupid...
But what is exactly a circuit breaker, what is look like and where are they located??
thanks

Quick Reply: Electrical Blown out