Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

electrical..possible battery?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road
Default electrical..possible battery?

i know this is a dumb question but i was always told no question is dumb if you don't know the answer. I don't know the answer to this.. but heres my question..

if my battery is dieing but not completely dead would I hear clicking/ticking when trying to turn it over but have no start? My dash lights are dim and my overhead temp thing doesn't even turn on, my headlights are dimmer then usual.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the voltage were low enough, you could get some clicking out of your starter, but not actually get it to turn over.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Tobashadow is on a distinguished road

Questions like this is why i pick up those free with coupon harbour freight meters and give to people and show them how to use them.

Borrow or buy a cheap voltage meter and see what the battery is reading.

Less then 11.5v DC, take battery to be tested at auto parts store, and spend the $4 while your there and replace the battery ends.

Proper voltage at battery has to be 11.5v or higher when vehicle is off (12v is preferred) and 13.5v+ when running to verify proper charging from alternator.

Bad cable ends can cause the battery not to allow proper voltage to system or proper voltage to battery from the charging circuity which can cause this issue also.

I always say when in doubt or when you change battery's spend the $4 for new ends, my battery's die from old age.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Starting Member

well, got the truck jumped.. it took about 15-20 minutes to get it to start. Let it run for another 30 minutes. Drove it down to az so the alternator would help charge up the battery a bit. Got the new ends for the battery while i was there. Had them check it out and they said its fully charged and in good condition. Got it home and changed the ends. Made sure everything was tight, went to turn it over.. nothing. The fuel gauge shot right up to Full (even though I know i only had 1/4 tank of gas in it), stuck there.. an hour later (now) its still at full and i still have nothing. Im at a loss on this. I traced the wires under the dash, everything looks good. No messed up wiring.
While I was at az I had them check the voltage, it all checked out.

any ideas?

If i can't get this thing up and running by the end of the week, im going to have to let it go. I really don't want to but i won't have any other choice. I can't keep chasing down problem after problem like this. Get one thing fixed and 5 more things go wrong. I say the end of the week because thats when im getting my camaro back. Its either give up my reliable camaro or my unpredictable blazer.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you getting proper voltage at all of the main positive & negative points in the system? A connection or main cable problem could be causing your problem.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Are you getting proper voltage at all of the main positive & negative points in the system? A connection or main cable problem could be causing your problem.

the guy at az said it was all getting the proper voltage at all ends. He clipped a meter onto the positive and negetive wires both with the truck off, on-engine off and engine running. My ends were pretty screwed up though, thats why I bought new ones and replaced them. Which was pretty simple to my surprise. Even with the brand new ends im getting nothing.

I even threw in the wifes battery and tried. Still nothing.

Last edited by Senshi09; 09-12-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Administrator

You aren't getting juice somewhere. A little time with a test light should tell you were the problem is.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You aren't getting juice somewhere. A little time with a test light should tell you were the problem is.

where should I begin testing at?

The only thing i haven't really taken a good look at were the fuses. But would a blown fuse cause these problems?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:47 PM
Administrator

A fuse won't act failed at lower voltage, but fine with higher voltage. The fact that you could jump start the truck would say that the fuses are fine.

Testing with a DMM at various fuses should tell you whether or not the circuit is properly conducting power.

The power distribution, starting, & charging wiring diagrams (CLICK HERE - Power Distribution & HERE - Charging & HERE - Starting) would probably help a lot. If you are interested in keeping the truck & working on it, I would suggest you purchase a factory service manual set.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Starting Member

Im going to give those threads a look through and check everything out. I looked at my fuses in the truck, they were fine like you said. Did that before I seen you said they would be fine.

I lost patience with it.. and did the wrong thing by smacking the steering wheel. But then it turned over and started. That confused me so I tried again and it dawned on me. This is exactly what was happening when my old ignition switch went out a week or two ago. So tomorrow im exchanging it for another one. I think this one is faulty.

Also, on the switch box (under the key hole) theres 2 wires a brown and green one. What are those supposed to hook into because I have nothing there for it. They just hang out.

ill pull a pic to help you understand what i mean lol gimme a sec

Last edited by Senshi09; 09-12-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: addded picture

Quick Reply: electrical..possible battery?