Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

I had electrical issues in my Astro Van and the problems were solved when I pulled the emergency flasher button towards me .....a multifunction switch was the culprit .

Old 10-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Beginning Member
bigwheelbob is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Strangerock
I had electrical issues in my Astro Van and the problems were solved when I pulled the emergency flasher button towards me .....a multifunction switch was the culprit .
Already tried that and a h/l switch.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Beginning Member

OK a couple new things. First off I pulled the relay bunch out by the fuse box and swapped a couple around and no changes. But 1 thing I did notice is when I start it and nothing is working if I turn on the h/l switch without the interior and dash lights everything works. Then when I add the load of the of the lights is when it all goes bad. I did find the culprit of the dash flashing and making funny noises. It is number 6 relay of the relay group by the fuse box. When unplugged the dash quits all the buzzing however the h/l switch still has to be on for everything to work. I'm not sure this means anything because all I'm doing is pulling the power from the interior lights.

(1) Park Lamp Relay
(2) Courtesy Lamp Relay
(3) Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Relay
(4) Power Seats Circuit Breaker
(5) Power Windows Circuit Breaker
(6) Inadvertent Power Relay
(7) Door Lock Relay
(8) Headlamp Ground Relay
(9) Driver Door Unlock Relay
(10) Door Unlock Relay

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by bigwheelbob; 10-25-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Please clarify if it is pulling the MF switch back that makes everything work correctly or the headlight switch?

Is the MF switch the same as the hi low switch?

Which fuses have no power on the left side of the interior fuse panel?

Did you replace all of the relays that did not work?

George

Old 10-26-2017, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran

While I am waiting for the answers to my questions in the previous post: Check the ground circuit which is common to everything that is misbehaving:

G203 and G204 which are black wire chassis grounds on the right side of the dash

Splice pack 203 which is near the ashtray which the grounds from your problem areas run through on the way to G203 and G204

George

Old 10-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Please clarify if it is pulling the MF switch back that makes everything work correctly or the headlight switch?

Is the MF switch the same as the hi low switch?

Which fuses have no power on the left side of the interior fuse panel?

Did you replace all of the relays that did not work?

George
when I first got the truck when I was messing with it I pulled the mf switch, which is the dimmer switch back and everything worked then. Now that's not the case. I start the truck, nothing works, I turn the h/l switch on and everything works for just a min until the dash goes goofy. if I turn off the interior lights and dim the dash lights it all goes working again just by taking that small load off the system. I don't think there are any bad relays, ive swaped them around and tried some diff ones. The fuses that are dead when all this happens are 2,7,8,13,14 and 19.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:36 AM
BF Veteran

Please tell me the function on those fuses. When you say dead you mean no 12V on the hot side before going through the fuse?

Old 10-28-2017, 07:38 PM
BF Veteran

Here is what I have so far.

All of the fuses that you listed in the I/P panel have no power when things are acting up are "always on", meaning that power is not switched to them thru a relay or the ignition switch. Since the truck starts and runs OK this implies that you have proper voltage from the battery although checking the battery voltage when the dash is flickering would verify this. What this means is that the most likely cause is a wiring or connector problem from the battery to the hot side of those fuses. Next I am tracing that path.

George

Old 10-28-2017, 08:42 PM
BF Veteran

OK here is the power path for the always on fuses that go dead in the I/P fuse panel:

Battery>Underhood fuse/relay box>B+ bus bar in box>Int Batt Fuse>Connector C6>Red wire>Grommet P100 through firewall>Connector C217>Red wire>Splice S223

Attached are pictures of each connector and splice so that you can locate them and find out where the power break is. Check power on both sides of the Int Batt fuse first and if that is OK then you either have a break in a wire or a screwed up connector. Break each connector and see if you have power there. Now you will know where the break in the circuit is. Let me know what you find

George

Attached Thumbnails Electrical problems-img_7716.jpg   Electrical problems-img_7715.jpg   Electrical problems-img_7714.jpg  
Old 10-30-2017, 08:10 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
OK here is the power path for the always on fuses that go dead in the I/P fuse panel:

Battery>Underhood fuse/relay box>B+ bus bar in box>Int Batt Fuse>Connector C6>Red wire>Grommet P100 through firewall>Connector C217>Red wire>Splice S223

Attached are pictures of each connector and splice so that you can locate them and find out where the power break is. Check power on both sides of the Int Batt fuse first and if that is OK then you either have a break in a wire or a screwed up connector. Break each connector and see if you have power there. Now you will know where the break in the circuit is. Let me know what you find

George
thanks, iwill get this done in the next couple days.

Quick Reply: Electrical problems