Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Eprom Chip programming

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 PM
eagal is on a distinguished road
Default Eprom Chip programming

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what sort of chip my 1989 k5 blazer with a 350 TBI with the 700r4, has. I am eager to program a new chip to compensate for mating an old corvette motor bored 30 over with my original intake and TBI. I'm even eager to learn how, but I need to know what number designation the chip has so as to buy the right programmer.
Any help out there?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

First you are going to need to locate your ECM and it will have the part number on it. From there you can cross reference what MASK was used in it. Moates.net has lots of equipment for tuning. I believe it's a PROMinator that allows you to tune on the go. Everything is stored temporarily and you burn a PROM when done.

I suggest starting at ThirdGen.org. It's a forum for 82-92 Camaro/Firebird. Huge following and incredible information. You should be able to learn and tune by just reading there. I'm currently working on locating the *8625 ECM from a '93 Chevy with TBI for my fun car. A bit of harness work is required to adapt it but the result is the simplicty of TBI with the efficiency, response, and control of multi-port. The ECM update speed for TBI ECMs is horrible and locating a faster ECM increases fuel economy and power.
You'll read about all that as well as everything you'll ever want to know. I started writing up a very basic step-by-step to tuning. It's not good but I can send it to you if you're interested. It's a crash-course so you know what you're getting into and what to start searching for now.

EDIT- A quick search reveals *7747 being mentioned quite a bit.
http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/ecm_info/1227747/

Have fun learning. BTW... once you get into tuning engine principles and operatioin will fall into place and you'll understand what each sensor does and how it affects engine operation. If you really want to get a good tune, invest in a Wideband O2 sensor. It's a bit more accurate than factory. However I got mine dialed in fairly well with the Narrowband and just driving around town.

Last edited by TZFBird; 02-11-2011 at 04:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:17 PM
eagal is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for being such a help. I've been reading quite a bit over on Third generation and am eager to take a look at your crash coarse. I'm uncertain that it was at thirdgen but somewhere I found the suggestion that mine has the 2732a eprom. I have to crack open the ecm.
Is there an eeprom replacement for the 2732a eprom? I like the notion of saving money not having to buy a UV eraser.
Also what are your thoughts on theTrue USB Willem ECU EPROM BIOS SPI universal Programmer?

It looks good to me and supports many different chips. But then I am a newbie...

Old 02-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Well, unfortunately it sounds like you've looked into it a bit more than I have. Only because my dad had some old stuff from the early 90's laying around. I.E UV eraser and a PROM writer that plugs into printer port. It's so old it only works on a computer that has a hard drive rated in Megabytes. LOL

PM me your email address and I'll send the file I made up. It's not good but it gives tips on starting from scratch after a complete engine build with displacement, heads, cam, intake, and injector size changes. Unfortunately I did all that and tried starting with a stock tune. Took a few days just to get the idle dialed in.

I just picked up a 16196395 PCM out of a '94 S10. Suposedly that is the 'parent' if you will of the 16197427 which is as close to OBDII as you can get. I'm happy because I can run a 4L65e if I find one and not worry about stupid speedometer gear changes for tires or differential gear changes.

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel this weekend, but I'll try to check that out when I get a chance.

EDIT:
Just located this while doing some searching. Apparently when upgrading to an ECM/PCM that has a lot more capabilities (can run boosted applicatioins) my knowledge is out the window and I have to start learning all over again.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tb...i-buildup.html
A starting point is at Post #7. It looks like we'll be learning together then since my upgrade is making a 5-6 year leap as far as technology goes.

Last edited by TZFBird; 02-14-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Link addition
Old 02-14-2011, 10:10 AM

I know I have not answered your original question but I'm trying to figure that out again myself. The first time it sort of fell in my lap somehow.

EDIT:
Now I have.
http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/GM_ECU_eproms

Last edited by TZFBird; 02-14-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Link