Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Fuel Level Buffer Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 PM
stucorpe is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Fuel Level Buffer Module

1997 Jimmy, 4wd, 4.3L - According to all topics that I have viewed and the schematics that I find online there is supposed to be one in this vehicle. It should be mounted near the passenger glove box. I have had the dash apart and everything I could take apart off and can not locate this module or any of the wires that should lead to it.

The problem is the gas gauge bouncing with the turn signals, and brake lights, and shifting into or out of reverse. In otherwords anything that operates any lights in the rear of the vehicle. I have run new ground wires to the brake light area (actually added new metal screw and new wire scraping paint away etc.). When I check ground continuity to the wires at the bulb sockets I get about .5 ohms depending on how hard I press the probe int the metal. Other end of meter connected to - battery terminal. I have also run new ground wire to the sender unit in the gas tank. New ground wire to fuel pump also.

Finally located the purple wire from the sending unit at the drivers side front fender and at that point I can see a voltage fluctuation in time with the turn signals. Have not been able to trace the wire any farther so far. Does anyone know where it goes from there? The nect place I can find it is where it goes to the instrument panel. It must connect to the PCM somewhere (for EVAP testing by the computer) but the pins showing this in the schematic are empty.

It probably is something I should just live with but is very annoying.

Hope someone here can give me an idea what or where to look.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:50 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

You should look out the windshield and not at the dash LOL. I wouldnt let it bother me

Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 PM
stucorpe is on a distinguished road
Default partial update

The one thing I have found under the glove box is the power lock/unlock relay. Potter Brumfield V8A-2016. The power locks work fine!