Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

fuel pump/pressure help

Old 01-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Sounds like fuel pump is not being pulsed (primed) by the ECM for the 2 seconds after the key is turned on, but fuel pump does come on with oil pressure and stays running when you start it with another source of fuel. Why this would be? not sure on an 89. would have to look at wiring schematics.
would the ignition control module be that culprit? I believe it sends the signal for fire and gas from the pickup coil. I've replaced both the coil and ignition module within a year or two so I'm somewhat familiar with that area. Since my first post I've cleaned both battery cable ends and wires,checked for 12v at the terminals,unplugged the temp,map sensor and egr solenoid and took out and cleaned aic with little change. It has started on It's own a few times so it does lead me to believe it's a short or a part that only malfunctions at times! Anyone else know for certain what else the root of the problem could be outside of the control module?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Starting Member
Default bad pump or bad wiring?

Hi guys,got a 1989 tbi s10 blazer 4.3. I let it sit a couple years while it rebuilt it and obviously had to replace the fuel pump. I couldn't install it due to a elbow replacement,the mechanic that did got a cheepo from Oreileys. Well four pumps later I got tired of claiming warranties so I bought a new ac delco off eBay. Within a week it stopped working. It won't come on at all. Now its important to note that the last one I replaced still worked,but I suspected it wasn't giving the right pressure at times due to having to start with carb cleaner,but thats another story. My question is am I missing something? Could there be an issue making these pumps fail? The relay has checked fine and all the wiring is new.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:00 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by hoebob69
would the ignition control module be that culprit? I believe it sends the signal for fire and gas from the pickup coil. I've replaced both the coil and ignition module within a year or two so I'm somewhat familiar with that area. Since my first post I've cleaned both battery cable ends and wires,checked for 12v at the terminals,unplugged the temp,map sensor and egr solenoid and took out and cleaned aic with little change. It has started on It's own a few times so it does lead me to believe it's a short or a part that only malfunctions at times! Anyone else know for certain what else the root of the problem could be outside of the control module?
UPDATE!!!!!!!! problem has finally been fixed. I replaced the ignition control module and a fuel injector. Cranks every time

Old 01-28-2017, 02:05 PM
Starting Member
Default fuel delivery issue....again

Ok guys,thought it was fixed but I guess I'm wrong. I replaced wires,plugs,injector and ignition control module since the last post. My 4.3 tbi still requires carb cleaner most times to crank. I think I have it narrowed down to the initial prime started at key turn due to the fact that it runs great after started. I thought the ignition control module was the problem but no dice! My question is could my relay be in and out causing it or is there something else in the mix I'm not seeing? Basically what is in charge of the initial prime?

Old 01-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Starting Member
Default update

Originally Posted by hoebob69
Ok guys,thought it was fixed but I guess I'm wrong. I replaced wires,plugs,injector and ignition control module since the last post. My 4.3 tbi still requires carb cleaner most times to crank. I think I have it narrowed down to the initial prime started at key turn due to the fact that it runs great after started. I thought the ignition control module was the problem but no dice! My question is could my relay be in and out causing it or is there something else in the mix I'm not seeing? Basically what is in charge of the initial prime?
update.....my injectors don't fire at key turn. They also don't fire at all while the engine is turning with the key. When the engine stops turning the injectors finally fire. Anyone know what is in charge of the initial injector pulse?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:30 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Since you had four separate threads concerning starting problems, I have combined them so everybody can see what has been done.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:06 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Since you had four separate threads concerning starting problems, I have combined them so everybody can see what has been done.
thanks,but I've got it figured out now. It's the pick up coil(crank sensor) in the distributor.