Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Full LED Conversion 1st gen PROPER

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 PM
uhlhazard is on a distinguished road
Default Full LED Conversion 1st gen PROPER

So I have installed LED's erywer on my 1st gen 1994 with the exception of the 1157's on the front bumpers corner/turns.

These and the 194 side marker/turns appear to be on a separate dedicated flasher circuit and I CANNOT find it.

What I do know:

There is the main turn signal flasher in the underdash fuse panel.

Above that is the emergency flasher which is identical in type of flasher.

I have the above two electronicified.

The problem:

If I install a 1157 led bulb (have tried 7 different types to eliminate that) my blinkers go solid on that entire circuit.

What I am hoping for is some LOVING member of the best blazer forum on the internet (easily) to scope out their shop manual and look at the electronic portion so I can finish my mod.

There is a surprisingly large amount of electronics under the dash and I've messed with a good portion of it all to no avail.

and:

Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Beginning Member
slamdvw is on a distinguished road

If it's anything like mine, it's the LEDs that don't draw enough power to trigger the flasher. You can try an electronic flasher, one made for low amp draw systems such as LED. ( as a side note, I just re-read your post, seems you already tried an electronic flasher... ) I just ended up putting in incandescent lamps in instead. LED tail, regular front markers. Defeats the purpose, I know. I didn't have the dummy resistors handy. The side marker lights, are fed power, and ground through the filament on the turn signal bulb. They flash opposite the regular turn signals. The ones I bought they call "bi polar" LEDs.. they seem to do what was intended. Good luck...

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

The same flasher operates all the signals. Did you install an electronic flasher unit?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 PM

Yes I have an electronic flasher installed in both places, one in the turn signal location and one to replace the thermal emergency flasher.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

What about a mechanical flasher? I've used them in trucks where there were so many lights a regular flasher didn't last very long. Autozone has them for our vehicle. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

They should work, because they're mechanical. They have a motor inside them that operates a set of points.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:34 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

All of my lights are LED and work fine

Old 01-01-2011, 12:50 PM

I think the issue exists only on 92up. My front bumper turn signal and my corner lights on the grille alternate. When one lights the other goes out and vice versa.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have a schematic for both the analog & digital cluster. I'll attach it momentarily.

I know on the older trucks, there was some polarity switching going on and LED's don't like that at all.

Attached Thumbnails Full LED Conversion 1st gen PROPER-94_ext_lmps_analog_sch.gif   Full LED Conversion 1st gen PROPER-94_ext_lmps_digital_sch.gif  
Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 PM

It's got to be the polarity switching. I just got back from playing with it. 1 blown 20A fuse later and I don't feel like finishing the test.

To check voltages, you must have a load on the circuit. Since the bulb blocks access to the running/turn circuits I didn't try but it makes sense though I'm a poor schematic reader that seems to be aparent.

Thank you very much Swart at least I have some resolution despite no solution to finish those last 2 leds.

I know I could just mod the front turns to not alternate, I'm just not ready to do that.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Beginning Member
slamdvw is on a distinguished road

Just to clear up the confusion... is it the side marker lights causing the problem? or the 1157 LED conversion not blinking when it's supposed to causing the problem??

I played with mine last night, put some 1157 LED Amber lights in. With the 1157 Reds in the rear, the turn signals and hazards just stayed on.

I added a 'dummy load' of sorts - a light bulb in a socket for testing. Hooked it in, and they started flashing.

I just did it on the driver's side ( only had one bulb handy ). When I turned the signal lever to the right, just stayed on. Turned it to the left, it flashed. Coming to the conclusion, that in my case - more of a load is necessary.

neo71665 - What kind of lights are you using? The ones I have don't seem to draw enough current...

For reference, mine is an 89 S10.

Last edited by slamdvw; 01-02-2011 at 09:09 AM. Reason: forgotten question

Quick Reply: Full LED Conversion 1st gen PROPER