Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Gauge cluster questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member
91blazer91 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Gauge cluster questions.

Hey does anyone know were i can get a wiring diagram or a pdf so i can see what does what on my 91's digital gauge cluster? dont want to have to buy a brand new one. thanks!

Old 02-18-2012, 04:11 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Have you done a search? This has been brought up a few times recently.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about
Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member
91blazer91 is on a distinguished road

yeah ive looked it up but its all for the digital anolouge clusters you know like the wheel type clusters were its just a circle strip with almost like a pizza cutter wheel with a red notch to determin your speed etc. THIS IS WHAT MY GAUGE CLUSTER LOOKS LIKE.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Not to be an ***.. more than usual, anyway.. but what are you going to do with a schematic drawing?

Almost every cluster on every car from the late eighties up looks pretty much the same from the back. In most cases on here, the problem ends up being a bad solder at the connector pins, especially if it's intermittent.

If you can you pull it out far enough to get at the back with connections on, then flex and localize till you find where it's most sensitve. I am an engineer and I find the majority of electrical/electronic controller faults that way.

If you cant pull it out while connected then get a magnify glass and look for tiny cracks in the solder lands, esp around connector pins.
If there's a 'dead' situation, you look for burnt resistors or can type caps with rounded tops. Just like food cans if a cap's top is rounded it's bad.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

So you dont have a digital cluster
Like this

you have the analog one

Like this

there way different from each other

Old 02-20-2012, 02:40 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I still have my digital cluster from my 89 that was totaled a few years ago. I was thinking about retrofitting it into my current 89 but for now it just stays on my shelf.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
BF Guru

retrofiting is easy there should be a link about retro fitting it in one of the links i provided in my 1st post

Old 02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Da-yum! Theyre both ugly as hell! GM gets points for trying but that's it!

Just to be clear what I meant by being pretty much the same from the back is how they do integration/interconnection with flex-circuits and ribbons/ printed ribbon and push on connections to soldered pins. Not that they have identical looking parts.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM
BF Guru

I actually like the digital one tho =(

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster questions.