Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

H1 HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road
Default H1 HIDs?

I converted my jimmy grill and head lights to a blazer grill and head lights so I could get halo's (I LOVE halo's). I got my projector halo headlights off eBay, but they are converted over to h1 bulbs.... They suck... So I'm looking to convert to h1 hids so I can get a better light output. I'm thinking of going with 8000k lows (more for looks, but I can only imagine the light out put would be better) and 6000k highs (for more visibility at night, or should I do 5000k?).
Looking to get them from hidextra.com.
And they have a couple different ballast options. Any suggestions as to witch ones I should go with?
Also any other possible concerns I would run into while doing this?
Also when I go to hids, at least lows, I'm going to disable my auto headlights.
And one more question, why do people do a quad mod? And should I look into doing it?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

Someone else should double check my answers but here is how it goes and what you should do as far as HIDs go.

First of all, A lot of people argue that putting HIDs in housings that aren't meant for HIDs is dangerous for other drivers as they could be "blinded" by them. I for one don't agree and have HIDs in stock housings as well as some clear reflector housings. Others argue that ebay projectors are junk (which they most likely are as most things on ebay are) COMPARED to actually retro-fitting with "real" projectors.

With all of that said, if you want to put HIDs in your ebay housings, go for it

I would however suggest 6000k for lows and 5000k for highs. But this is also a matter of opinion. I am on my second set of HIDs. My first were 5000k and my current set are 6000k. Having both I can say that the 5000k does infact have a higher output due to the brighter whiter light spectrum. I am VERY happy with my 6000k HIDs however. I feel they are the perfect balance of light output and "blued".

8000k is quite the jump from 6000k. Much more blue and not near as much light output (although I've never personally owned them)

I wouldn't sacrifice any more light output than what 6000k gives me,and I especially wouldn't sacrifice it "more for looks"

I have bought both of my sets from Hidextra and am pleased with their products and customer service. So you are good to go there. As far as ballasts go, I would just go with the cheap 35W Signature Series. It is the most common/stock ballast and the one that I have on my kit. No problems whatsoever. I personally dont feel the need for anything more than the signature series ballast.

As far as disabling your auto headlights, there is a DRL (Daytime Running Lights) fuse you can pull I believe. Or not worry about them and have them on like normal (what I do).

People (like myself) do the quad beam mod because it makes sense lol. Quad beam mod simply makes it so that when you turn your brights on, your lows remain lit instead of turning off. If you have low HIDs only this isn't AS big of a deal but still helpful so that when you switch back to lows from high your low beams don't have to warm up again. HOWEVER, if you have both High AND Low beam HIDS the quad beam mod is a must. This is because if you don't, when you turn on your highs there will be a period of darkness as your lows turn off and your highs warm up.

PLUS, quad beam mod is SUPER EASY!!! so yes, you should look into it wither way, hell even if you don't end up getting HIDs. Like I said, it just makes sense. Why turn off the lows when you could have both on?

The only other concern I would say is when you hook up your HIDs make sure your wires and especially your ballasts are located in a safe, somewhat water free location. Because of the obvious, water and electricity is never a good thing. And like the rest of your truck, general maintenance and inspections are required. Every once in a while take a look at them and make sure water or other things aren't harming them.

WHEW... I'm out of breath. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:45 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

If your projectors suck, there's not much putting hids in them will do for it. When you have all the light in the wrong places, having extra light won't really help. JMO though.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Starting Member

....... That was so informative I'm more or less speechless, lol. That answered all my questions and then some, thank you so much!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Starting Member

I don't think it's the projectors that suck as its the tiney h1 bulbs they use

Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'd say give it a shot, then if it still isn't what you want, you can do a mini h1 retrofit and still use your bulbs and ballasts.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Wait, Your current headlights suck.... but you want to get 8000k lows.... for looks....

Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM
BF Veteran

That made me giggle.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Starting Member
bryanbc is on a distinguished road

https://www.facebook.com/notes/stree...38304369542617

that will give you all the info you need on choosing your hids bulbs. I plan to run 4300k in lows and 5k in highs

Last edited by bryanbc; 02-28-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Starting Member
zball94 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HcHawks09
First of all, A lot of people argue that putting HIDs in housings that aren't meant for HIDs is dangerous for other drivers as they could be "blinded" by them. I for one don't agree and have HIDs in stock housings as well as some clear reflector housings.
If I ever pass you on the road, you will get a taste of my 400w roof lights.

Do not put HID's in non-projectors. Its a real dick move towards everyone else on the road. Leave this to the losers driving riced out civics.

Quick Reply: H1 HIDs?