Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Hammered with Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:47 PM
VWGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Hammered with Electrical Issues

Hey all, I am new to the forum and new to Chevys. I'm a Vintage VW guy. I was in need of an SUV and picked up a 96 Blazer that needed some love 6 months ago. I have replaced spark plugs, dizzy cap,rotor, repaired the TBI, replaced fan motor, switch and resistor, catalytic converter, etc. After that, it has been a great little truck up until recently.

I've spent the past couple of days reading threads and just would like some advice before I make a mistake. My electrical system is going ballistic. First, the symptoms:

1) when purchased 6 months ago, the driver's door speaker goes on and off
2) One rear power window stopped working after my wife left the driver's window down during a rainstorm. That happened a month ago.
3)Last week, the power seat stopped working.
4) Yesterday the power locks stopped working and when I checked the PWR ACCY breaker, it burned my fingers.

I've read that the power seat can be causing the hot breaker, I'd just like to know where to start looking and what should I looking to replace?

Thanks guys!

Old 07-21-2017, 05:22 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Not sure about the 96.

Older ones can have issues there which can originate in the drivers side switches.

If open in a rainstorm most probably it has got a good soaking on the switches in the door and the seat most probably as well. Depending on where you live it could be corrosion related.

Will eventually end with removing the switches and wiring (connectors) under the seat and in the door.
Not sure if on the 96 the switches can be pulled without removing the door panel. Would allow to measure for shorts and resistance.
Hot fuses are most of the time indicative of a resistance problem. Either connectors or also a mechanically blocked motor.

I for myself would probably just go ahead and remove the door panels front and aft to have access to the switches, the wiring and the mechanical hardware of the windows. Having a good look may solve part of the problem.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:56 AM

I started with the driver door set of switches. As soon as I got them disconnected and the re-connected the battery, the power seat and locks worked again. I am going to check the heat on the circuit breaker today (I did the removal last night) and then see about getting a new bank of switches. Do you guys have any brands I should look at or stay away from for parts? Like for VWs, Empi used to be great and now just seems to make garbage.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Get a set from a junk yard from another blazer

Old 07-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

If the switches are now working, why would you buy used switches? If you feel the need and if they are anything like the ones on my 2000 Jimmy, the individual switches can be carefully disassembled and serviced. Clean the gunk out and use a dab of dielectric grease if needed. If that doesn't do the job, then pick up the used switches.

I serviced the door lock switch and window switch when I got my Jimmy almost 3 years ago. No problems with that since.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:01 PM

The switches don't work, I pulled them out and now all my other electrical issues and the overheating breaker are fixed. There is a short in the switch. I can take it apart, but I don't mind spending a few dollars to get new/used ones that work without issue.