Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Headlight alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 07:24 AM
PSS-Mag is on a distinguished road
Default Headlight alignment

Not sure if this is the right place or if this needs to be in body section.

The issue my headlights are never aligned. Let me explain as best as I can.
if I align the low beams then the high beams are off. If I align the high beams the low beams are off. Seems to be the drivers side.

Align low beams and get (- -) on low, but highs do this (_ -)
adjust the high beams to (-- -) and the lows do this (- _) "spot lighting the trees"

Honestly I havent done anything except try to adjust them. I cant figure out if it's the housing, the bulbs or what could possibly cause this.

Open to any suggestions.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It very likely is a bulb alignment issue although it is pretty difficult to mess these up unless someone is trying to use a high beam bulb in a low beam application. I would first pull the bulbs and check for a pinched o-ring or bent bulb.

Are these factory design housings (either oem or aftermarket) or full aftermarket design housings? Maybe a picture of what you're working with?

Old 01-30-2020, 09:38 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Align low beams and get (- -) on low, but highs do this (_ -)
adjust the high beams to (-- -) and the lows do this (- _) "spot lighting the trees"

Open to any suggestions.
Headlights are in upside down

Old 02-20-2020, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It very likely is a bulb alignment issue although it is pretty difficult to mess these up unless someone is trying to use a high beam bulb in a low beam application. I would first pull the bulbs and check for a pinched o-ring or bent bulb.

Are these factory design housings (either oem or aftermarket) or full aftermarket design housings? Maybe a picture of what you're working with?
Factory or OEM housings.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:59 AM

I didnt think about having the wrong bulb. I have found stranger things from previous owner. Including things like gauges didnt work. Owner said needed new cluster, they had a tooth pick shoved in odometer button to make gauges read. "I am impressed that they figured that trick out" but.... ( It was a fuse.) Rear defrost didn't work after replacing back glass. (The leads were not plugged in to the grid. Just dangeling) so wont surprise me if it's a wrong bulb. Lol. I'll check it this weekend.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:40 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that the alignment support tabs on the bottom edge of the housings themselves are fully and correctly inserted into their slots?

Old 02-20-2020, 09:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Rich, I thought about mentioning the tabs & retainers in the back, but kind of dismissed it given how he described his observations of the alignment change with adjustments. It really seems like a bulb issue to me, but it is still a valid point to rule out given the tendency for this to be an issue on these trucks.