Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Help no low beam only high beam

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Mike4x4ing is on a distinguished road
Default Help no low beam only high beam

Hello i brought a 1999 blazer 4x4 from my mom as she couldnt afford to keep it anymore..it has 240,xxx on it but with its second motor. a used one was installed when they got it at 172,xxx. Everything runs really good for its age as i have put a new alt on it..a new water pump..a new batt and wires and plugs..i onlt stuck a new alt on it becuase the old one looked a little rough and ol

the night i went and picked it up i noticed that the high beams were on so i turned them off and tried to turm my low beams on with the switch no luck!!!

if i have my high beams on i can use my switch to turn the high beams on and off but as soon as i turn my high beams off with the switch on the sterring wheel i dont have light with my light switch on the dash..i did notice when i turn my light switch on i have park lights all the way around but no low beams.

I have checked for power were they plug into the light bulbs and i have power..i have install 3 sets of new liight bulbs no luck..i have installed a new headlight master switch no low beams. i have checked all the fuses and relays they are all good. i have looked for broken wires but found none. I am lost with this problem as i have been a mechanice for the past 10 yrs which the last 5 of them i have ran my own 2 bay 2 lift shop.Please help i am out of possiables on what can be wroung...by the way this is one of the best forums i have came across..thanks for all the help ahead of time

Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

I think I'd swap out the multifinction switch with a known good one. Used would be fine. I was thinking both low beams were burned out but you did say you put new ones in didn't you?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:22 PM

i have replaced the mulfuction switch with a new one from ebay and one from a local pick and pull..still no luck..should i try to replace my high beam switch the one on the coluom.

I just dont get it i have power at my plugs to the light bulbs but still no damn low beams and it sucks bec people flash me all the time at night driving with high beams on. I kno the bulbs work for a fact because i used a power probe to make sure of that..tryed plugin up the bulbs and used the power probe to send power to the lights and nothin..again i hate to repeat my self but i have also replaced all relays..I am at a big road block and need to get to the bottom of this

Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Isn't the low beams triggered by a neg switch? Check the grounds.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:57 AM

i was wondering if anyone has heard of the Body Relay Block..its supose to have a buck of relays in there but i cant seem to find it any where..I see the fuse box but not the body Relay block plz help

Old 07-06-2013, 01:21 PM

ok so i did alot of searching bec someone said to start looking at grounds so i did.. i found so info on the body block its supose to have all kinds of relays in them one being the headlight ground relay..but i couldnt find it so instead i had an idea to run a single ground from the batt right to the headlight 2 wire connector. and WOW i have low beam lights again..so i am guess it could be the ground relay or its missing a ground wire some were but for now it will have to work as its 98 degrees out and its hard to be out there.thanks for all the help i will update it again as i find the real problem.