Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

hid conversion to stock headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Beginning Member
jeff663 is on a distinguished road
Default hid conversion to stock headlights

hello, I know theres a way to install hid lights on the stock headlights, I tried searching but couldn't find steps on how to do them. I have a 2005 2door blazer. Anyone able to help me out? if theres a thread stating how to do this already then please link it to me, because I searched and couldn't find one. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:13 PM
05BlackJimmy is on a distinguished road

I have hids in my stock headlights, they are pretty much plug and play, just get a kit with the wire harness and plug the conectors into each other and hook it to the positive battery terminal and you should be set to go, any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Never put HID's in housings that weren't designed for them.
Projector housing were initially designed to house HID's & by putting them in housings not meant for them you'll only have glare. You'll lose a ton of their effectivness & blind oncomming traffic in the process.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...R_3IDxFLvUJ1iw

Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

^^^^^^^^X2

Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, i found these headlamps - SPYDERŽ - Chevy Blazer 1998-2005 Smoke Crystal Headlights

These are HID supportive correct? and i think i need 9005 is for low beams and 9006 is for high beams, but don't know what other parts/components i need to install the hids if someone could please help.

or if anyone has any other suggestions, thank you

oh yeah also what size do i need?

Last edited by jeff663; 08-24-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

No those lights are still designed for halogens. Listen to what the guys on HIDplanet are saying. If you can find some projectors then those will be 10x better than reflectors, even though most of the projectors on ebay are meant for halogens too.

You can get the pair you posted and do a projector retrofit and that will get you the best results IMO. No glare and they won't waste any of the light. Search around HIDP and see what is involved in a retrofit and see if that is something you want to do or not.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 PM
BF Veteran

So thogert... as we try to get him into projectors because he wants HID's he still want/likes stock housings. That's an issue because I highly doubt we'd see any stock looking housing for our blazers that are meant to house an HID system.

He's in a catch 22 lol... HID's in projectors or Sylvania Ultra Whites (halogens) in stock housings & replace the bulbs every 6 months.
Brighter is better IMO & some of the projector housings don't stand out too much - stock looking.
Jeff, if you don't like the halo, don't hook up the wires for them to light up.
Your choice man. Look around the net, ebay, Google & see if anything close to a stock housing is meant for HID's. If they aren't, you'll flood in-front & **** off oncoming drivers not to mention loosing the reason you got the HID's in the 1st place - illumination!
Just my thoughts having read about HID's, housings etc.

Let us know the results!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I suppose he could do a retro on the stock headlights. Your cutoff won't be as sharp, but not much light will be shining in others eyes. I saw a post on HIDP this week where someone did that and it didn't look too bad. Let me see if I can find a pic of it.

Edit: Here it is.
Here's a pic of the headlight the projector is in.
Name:  30e6fe31.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  115.5 KB

And here is how the output looks.
Name:  164f37fa.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  51.9 KB

By doing it like this, you don't get all of the light pointing at the sky like you would when you use just the plug and play kits. The cutoff isn't super sharp, but you won't blind anyone and the light is mostly controlled. I think if you want the stock look, this is your best bet.

Last edited by Thogert; 08-24-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:09 PM
BF Veteran

Awesome, but is that a stock housing for a 2005? Looks nothing like the stock housing for my 2002.
Normally guys take pics of headlights etc in their garage, open lot etc. Thogert takes (or has copied pics) from the dining room! lol

BTW, what's with the Memories, badge, look like thumb cuffs & SWAT plaque?

<edit> you saw a post & found it so these were the pics from HID Planet lol oops.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 AM
Beginning Member

Wow thanks for the replys guys, and yeah i love the stock look, its awesome. So how exactly would i do the retro on the stock headlights haha. Idk if i said this before but i'm a huge novice in the department. I just really want some hids in my stock headlights, i mean i can buy those head i linked - SPYDERŽ - Chevy Blazer 1998-2005 Smoke Crystal Headlights - if that will help in any way, but really just want to know the step by step process on what i need to buy to make the 6k hids work.

thanks again.

Quick Reply: hid conversion to stock headlights