Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

high mount rear brake light removal from glass

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 AM
Beginning Member
neex is on a distinguished road
Default high mount rear brake light removal from glass

Hi there,
Although there have been lots of great threads talking about reviving the third brake light, troubleshooting it, etc., I cannot remove mine. I've tried many times and no go. It's off a 95 and it is mounted to the rear glass. What is the trick? I've tried to slip something under it while turning the screwdriver to see if I can isolate a nut that might be spinning. If I drill off the heads of the screws will it come right off? I've been close to just replacing the rear glass with one that works from the wreckers to avoid this frustration but it seems a little excessive...

Arrrrgh.

Thank you,
Andrew.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member

Has nobody else seriously had a problem removing this 3rd brake light off the hatch glass? Maybe I'm screwed...

Thanks!
A.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Miines already broken. One side of the plastic mounting underneigth the light itself has snapped so mine is just chilling. I probably need to fix that its just not that big of a deal to me. If all else fails maybe remove the back glass?

Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

don't know, mine is body mounted.

but i do have a window in the garage that has a 3rd BL on it. if i have time in the morning, i'll take a quick look @ it, see if i can see what is giving you guys so much issue.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:46 PM

Mines not bugging me. Ill get around to it eventually but not top priority. But to know of any future snags will be nice!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
don't know, mine is body mounted.

but i do have a window in the garage that has a 3rd BL on it. if i have time in the morning, i'll take a quick look @ it, see if i can see what is giving you guys so much issue.
Fantastic! Thank you. This thing has been a bit of a Bermuda Triangle for me to figure out. I'm sure it's botched and needs replacing (if only I could remove it).... I'm wondering if hammering it underneath with a gasket scraper might do it. Maybe I should smash the hatch with a hammer.... lol.

A.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:27 AM

I forgot about this. Dang I meant to look at mine and see for ya since one side is broke anyways. Maybe Ill remember in the morning to check it out.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member

no worries - if you figure it out let me know.

Thanks,
A.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

s**t! i forgot all about this as well.

i'll see if i can get @ that window in my garage tomorrow. see if i can figure out how that 3rd BLcomes off.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 AM

Alright I took a peaksie at mine the other day but completly forgot to say anything about it. It looks like the plastic on the hatch itself has a slot manufactured in for the nut, then the nut sits in there and the actual light bolts down. If I could post pics I would but I can't. Mine is broke right there so I can move the light around to see. Neex pm your email address and I can email you a picture of what I'm talking about so you can understand a little better. But I'm willing to bet you've stripped the plastic where the nut acutally is "held in" at.

Quick Reply: high mount rear brake light removal from glass