Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

I think my dash is haunted

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 PM
izzybee_1 is on a distinguished road
Default I think my dash is haunted

Okay heres the deal last week late at niight I was heading home and needed to charge my phone. So I plugged in my inverter into the cigerett lighter and started charging the phone. hit a bump and the inverter stopped. when I ajusted it the floor lights came on the raido blinked off. I pulled out the inverter and decided to wait to charge my phone at home. The floor lights went back off and radio needed to be reset. WHen I got home. I shut the blazer off and turned all lights off. When I opened the door the dome light was not working. But the floor lights are. The next day I started the car and my radio and clock had to be reset again. My question is what could be the prolbem? The fuses are all good as far as I can tell. So where do I check next and how.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

It sounds like a loose wire, or, possible blown fuse. My mom's stereo in her Blazer had to be reset every time the vehicle was started. There is a fuse in the panel on the drivers side, I forget which one it is, but, we changed that fuse, no more problems.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the suggestin I have checked the fuses but maybe I missed one. I'll checked them again.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Starting Member

OK. Let me know, and if you're still unsure, maybe I can run to my moms house tomorrow before work and see if I can find the one we replaced. I wanna say it was no more than like a 10 or 20 amp fuse??

Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 AM
Banned
Topsecret66 is on a distinguished road

There's always the possibility that your electrical could have been tampered with severely prior to your purchase and are only finding symptoms now.

I have seen cases like this to the extent of the owners just dropping their vehicles off at the bone yard.

Or were you smoking some whacky stuff?

Good luck!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:16 PM

I am thinking it is most likely a short in the wiring. Because when I open either door the radio and clock lose power. And when I shut both doors they come back on again. Next step I am thinking is to pull out the radio and get someone to check the wiring for me. wish me luck please. Also this car was bought bran new when my father bought it back in 1989. Never had trouble with it until now. Its just old and tired and gray.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Starting Member

Wiring gremlins can be a nightmare. It sounds like something may be shorting out if you open the door and the stereo shuts off, then comes back on when you close them.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Yes they are and I am no wiring pro. So now the next thing to to is find someone to look at it for me. since I can not find any books that will tell me how to do this dastardly deed.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Starting Member

I'm not 100% sure, but, check where the wires go from the door into the body. You may have to split the loom to see them, or pull the door panel off, maybe the kick panel. I'm not 100% sure, just trying to throw out some ideas.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:41 AM

Well the Ghost is gone. After all the stress of not knowing I had an Owners Manual in the glovebox and looked up the fuses to see what controled what and guess what. This one fuse controlled the radio, dome lamps the tailgate window release, and a couple of other things. It was not blowen last week when I checked it. but yesterday I went to open my window in the back and it would not release. So finally I got a bright idea (smart I am ha ha ha yeah right) to see if I had an owners manual. Thats when I found the fuse to be blowen and repplaced it and now I have no more Ghost. Yeah thanks for all the advice and look forward to chating again.