Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Ignition lock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member
96awd is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition problem! Need help ASAP!

Ok, well I've been on this forum for a bit but not active. I'm getting around to fixing my 2000 Blazer 4.3 Vortec 4 door and need some advice.

It's been sitting for almost a year +/-. We have a problem where when turning the key, the ignition hangs up. Well usually when you turn the key to start, it'll click back after starting; it just stays forward without clicking back. (I can get a video if needed of this to further show what it's doing.) I replaced the ignition lock cylinder. Do I replace the full ignition system now?

We had a problem with the fuel pump as well. Not too sure on if it works or not, can't hear it when priming so I'll most likely replace that as well.

My DD, which was my Grandmother's van (recently passed) passed to me (96 Mercury Villager) just pooped out so I need to get this back up. I have a 90 TSi AWD but that's in the middle of a year long build so far. I'm very familiar with DSM's just not Chevy. Been around and worked on multiple Mustangs (mostly my buddy's Mach 1 and turbo 03 cobra.) So any type of help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Lewis.

Last edited by 96awd; 08-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The spring back is in the ignition switch, but I would have gone in the same direction as you initially if the lock felt stiff, even with it out of the vehicle. If you can't get the ignition switch freed up, you'll have to replace it. There really isn't any good way to free it up without removing it so you might just want to go that route from the beginning.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The spring back is in the ignition switch, but I would have gone in the same direction as you initially if the lock felt stiff, even with it out of the vehicle. If you can't get the ignition switch freed up, you'll have to replace it. There really isn't any good way to free it up without removing it so you might just want to go that route from the beginning.
I thought I bought a switch but thought wrong so I will be buying one today.
Do you think this could have any interference with the fuel pump not coming on if it's not recognizing it?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible. I'd have to look at what else is on that contact in the ignition switch to say for certain... If the PCM were not properly powering up, it wouldn't trigger the fuel pump.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member

It's possible. I'd have to look at what else is on that contact in the ignition switch to say for certain... If the PCM were not properly powering up, it wouldn't trigger the fuel pump.
I'll go out here in a few and grab a video of what it's doing and a surrouding area of what there is. I have a feeling that could be it, but it's been sitting for awhile so not too sure what works/what doesn't, ya know? Lol

Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Beginning Member

Well, back again. I installed the new switch and the new ignition lock cylinder and still have the same problem. I took a quick video of what it's doing. I have a huge gut feeling, it's going to be something small that I'm looking past.

Anyone have any input?

Does there need to be a battery hooked up for it to work? Cause it didn't do it without it last time.

I have a feeling it'll be something I overlooked just want input.

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-30-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Beginning Member

Anybody?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Ignition switch installed incorrectly? Are you getting power at the appropriate times when you turn the key to the respective positions? As I said earlier, all of the spring back is in the ignition switch.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member

Ignition switch installed incorrectly? Are you getting power at the appropriate times when you turn the key to the respective positions? As I said earlier, all of the spring back is in the ignition switch.
Yes, installed correctly. Double checked everything. I am getting power. Accessories and all turn on as they should. The car will crank, just still will not retract as it should as shown in the video.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Administrator

When you had it apart, did you notice any cracks or worn spots in and around the ignition switch & lock cylinder? Something has to have failed inside there somewhere (ignition lock cylinder case to steering column cover alignment?) resulting in things being out of alignment.

THIS PAGE has the exploded view of your column.

Quick Reply: Ignition lock?