Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

ignition mods.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:39 AM
BlackBastard is on a distinguished road
Default ignition mods.

ok, so its time for a tune-up on my blazer, i was wanting to do some mods to the ignition, i see alot of different parts out there, and was wondering what you guys think about it.

im wanting to buy some msd plugs and wires.
for the ignition coils, what do you guys think? msd has a oem replacement coils i was thinking about. MSD Ignition 8231 - MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coils - Overview - SummitRacing.com
i am about to do some mods to my friends 240sx and we ordered a msd blaster 3 coil. do you think that would be a better choice for more power?
i also see the ignition amp boxes and things like that i was wondering about.
and would it affect my performance by replacing the cap and rotor with stock ac delco? or would an aftermarket distributer be better?

also, whats a general rundown of things i should do for my tune up?

alot of questions i know, just looking for a good ignition setup, and i dont want to buy a bunch of stuff that is pointless.

Last edited by BlackBastard; 06-27-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My advice, stick with AC Delco for everything. I have had horrible luck with MSD "oem replacement" ignition components on a number of GM and other make vehicles.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:57 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Regardless of what you replace with whatever manufacturer of choice (I'll second staying with AC Delco), do not expect any better performance or mileage than what your vehicle rolled off the assembly plant with.