Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Installing electric mirrors to manual truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 12:48 PM
OldDogTrickShow is on a distinguished road
Default Installing electric mirrors to manual truck

I bought a '97 SL S10 2 days ago and I'm going through it taking inventory of what needs replacing and repairing. The outside mirrors are bad; one mirror shakes like an Outkast song and the other is shattered. I ordered a set of mirrors from Fleabay but the downside is the new mirrors are electric. Is the wiring harness in the truck already for these or do I have to find that part of the wiring for myself? I'm hoping GM used one harness for all models and the pigtails are already in there waiting on me to add the parts.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

So you're going from manual mirrors to electric?

Bad news is the wire pigtails will more than likely not be there. There are several different types connections for the mirrors from '95 to '04.... electric, electric with heat....then in '99 they changed the look of the mirrors to the larger "elephant ears" style, that again came with different connections for electric, and electric with heat.

I guess the good news is, they all work manually. Let us know what you find out.

And nice OutKast simile.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
So you're going from manual mirrors to electric?

Bad news is the wire pigtails will more than likely not be there. There are several different types connections for the mirrors from '95 to '04.... electric, electric with heat....then in '99 they changed the look of the mirrors to the larger "elephant ears" style, that again came with different connections for electric, and electric with heat.

I guess the good news is, they all work manually. Let us know what you find out.

And nice OutKast simile.
I'm glad someone caught that. LOL I was afraid that joke might be lost on some of the younger fellas.

The mirrors are here, and they look great in person. It's the M3 style mirrors with LED turn signals and carbon fiber look to them. I'm going to paint them to match the truck before I install them, the CF look is too much rice for my taste. Since the pigtails arent there in the doors, I guess I'll just position them where I want them and hope they stay. Running wires for the turn signals will be easy.( I'm just doing the yellow for the blinker, no running light incase you're wondering exactly how far I'm taking that look.) These mirrors dont have plugs on them, they're just lengths of wire that I would have to put plugs on.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:14 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you've got that handled.

I posted a bunch of different options as far as mirrors go, on another thread under Paint, Body, & Interior;
https://blazerforum.com/forum/paint-...or-help-96245/

I would like to get the tow mirrors...but afraid they are junk. lol

Old 06-19-2018, 07:05 PM

The last link on that post went to black versions of my mirrors. That link was $67 each and I spent $39 on the pair for mine, so either I got a great deal or that site is charging through the nose for those. If I find a good set of electric window and mirror doors, I might just swap the entire things over. That would still require lots of wiring but atleast it will be worth it for all that