Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Interior Lights always on

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Starting Member
Toms is on a distinguished road
Default Interior Lights always on

Hi all, I am new here and have a problem that this seems to happen a lot. I have a 2002 2wd 4dr that has about 200,000 miles and the interior lights will not go out and as soon as you turn off the ignition the radio goes off. I am trying to find out where the interior light control module is located. I have checked the front door switches because they are easy to get to. The passenger side is not even hooked up. The override switch will turn the lights off. The driver door switch is working because when I turn the ignition on with the drivers door open the buzzer comes on and goes off when I push the door switch in. The alarm will also go off by it self sometimes. The module also looks like it has something to do with the key fob. The doom lights will come on with the override switch pushed in and you turn the dash light switch all the way up. I work on electronics and the module is what I suspect. Any help would help a lot. I saw somewhere you can get a schematic the they said had component location for about $12 but I am poor. Thank you if you can help, Tom.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Toms
Hi all, I am new here and have a problem that this seems to happen a lot. I have a 2002 2wd 4dr that has about 200,000 miles and the interior lights will not go out and as soon as you turn off the ignition the radio goes off. I am trying to find out where the interior light control module is located. I have checked the front door switches because they are easy to get to. The passenger side is not even hooked up. The override switch will turn the lights off. The driver door switch is working because when I turn the ignition on with the drivers door open the buzzer comes on and goes off when I push the door switch in. The alarm will also go off by it self sometimes. The module also looks like it has something to do with the key fob. The doom lights will come on with the override switch pushed in and you turn the dash light switch all the way up. I work on electronics and the module is what I suspect. Any help would help a lot. I saw somewhere you can get a schematic the they said had component location for about $12 but I am poor. Thank you if you can help, Tom.
2002 Blazers use the general BCM (Body Control Module) to control the interior lights. I'll try to remember to post a factory schematic and diagnostic charts for you tonight.

But first please look for a switch in the rear of the overhead console. IIRC I had the same problem with the overhead lights staying on some time after I first got my Blazer.

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-14-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

I’m trying to recall but pretty sure when I was working on my 98 installing a aftermarket car keyfob setup for locking and unlocking doors and such that even tho there is the “button” switch at door panel near hinge and fuse box cover there seemed to be a second sensor in door because that button did not disable everything when I was working on it. Guess I’m saying even tho I bypass that button next to fuse panel the Blazer still acted like door was open and only stopped when I closed drivers door so guessing there is a second switch in door to detect closed status like at the latch? Just saying because it confused me while working on it and never figured that out and just kept disconnecting battery while working on it.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:31 AM
WWhite is on a distinguished road

The switch that is located in the door latch assembly is probably the one causing the problem.