Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Interior lights stay on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM
augie is on a distinguished road
Cool Interior lights stay on all the time

My interior lights stay on, on my 97 blazer 4-door, I've checked all the door switches and they work normally, the only thing I see can be wrong is the delay circuit that keeps the lights lit for a short time after the doors are closed. Does anyone know where this module might reside? I cannot find any mention of it in my Hynes manual

Last edited by augie; 03-04-2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:45 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

It would help if we knew what you are working on, (blazer jimmy year 4dr/2dr) but on mine the problem went away when I was messing around under the dash on the drivers side. I was never able to find out exactly what fixed it, but there was a box by the obdII port on mine. I think it is called the 'interior light control module.' Do a quick search of that on here and see what you come up with.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Starting Member
Chic_Bowdrie is on a distinguished road

Is the dimmer switch not all the way up, ie always on? Also there was a post here sometime back about a door latch sensor being activated by a defective locking mechanism.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Pull the TBC fuse in underhood and see if they go out. Possibly tell us if the BCM is holding them on.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 PM
augie is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help guys, the problem turned out to be a defective door latch switch in the drivers side door

THANKS AGAIN
Augie

Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
SoullessNihilist is on a distinguished road

soooo... i'm having the same issue. my question is for (augie). so when your door switch was bad, and you press it in, or close the door.. did the buzzer go off???

Old 06-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Starting Member

SoullessN, augie's problem was a sensor in the door that turns the dome light on when you pull the door handle. The dome light will go on even if you never actually open the door. At least that is how it works on my '96 Blazer. When I release the door handle, the dome light goes off in about 20 seconds.

Are you referring to the door switch under the fuses? If that switch is working properly and the key is in the ignition, the buzzer should go off with the door open and stop when you push the switch in. But my dome light will stay on forever even with the door open switch pushed in. I have to shut the door and then the dome light will go off 20 seconds or so later when the delay shuts it off.

I suppose it is possible for a defective door switch to cause the dome light to stay on. I just don't see an easy way to diagnose that.

Also the passenger side door switch works the same way as the driver side, except that my passenger side door open does not activate the buzzer with the key in. The two back door switches will turn off the dome without a delay.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:00 AM
SoullessNihilist is on a distinguished road

yeah i didnt know there was a switch in the latch. thats where my problem is, my door hinges are worn out and i have to slam the door. and at $60 a piece for replacement hinges it not worth changing them. i'll probably just rig the wiring until i feel like dealing with the root cause.

Last edited by SoullessNihilist; 06-16-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member
Moses is on a distinguished road

Clock display is always on

and the light under the clove box is always on too.

any ideas?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Moses
Clock display is always on

and the light under the clove box is always on too.

any ideas?
Is the dome light on too? The courtesy lights are on with the front doors open or even if the door handle is pulled without opening the door. If they don't go off after awhile, you have a defective switch sensor somewhere.

The radio light stays on when the ignition is in ACC position, but the light under the glove box stays off. The two don't seem to be related. Tough problem if they are.

Quick Reply: Interior lights stay on all the time