Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Jimmy Engine Wiring Harness model year compatability

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 AM
Beginning Member
JackedJimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Jimmy Engine Wiring Harness model year compatability

Howsit fellas? 97 4x4 4dr Jimmy 4.3. Truck had a engine fire while the previous owner had it and everything is pretty toasty under the hood. It still runs fine but have recently had parasitic draw on the battery. Pull out the multimeter and the positive lead cord is damaged. So there on the way. But trying to be proactive a bit because I have a feeling its going to end up being a short due to the fire damage. So does anyone know what model year engine harnesses are interchangeable? Is it like the computer that has to be from the exact year and model? Or is it interchangable between all second gen s series 4.3 vehicles? Thanks in advance. Anyone got one for sale?

Last edited by JackedJimmy; 07-10-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone? Someone has to know the answer to this question.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JackedJimmy
Anyone? Someone has to know the answer to this question.
I honestly don't know the answer...., however I would just try sticking close to your yr....within a yr either way 96-98 I know there were some small changes, suck as knock sensor I wanna say 2000 they went to a two wire sensor....if not then I know it was 2001...and on 02' and newer they got rid of the egr.....I would say with as many as there are being scraped out u shouldn't have to hard of a time finding one.......good luck!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member

Hey thanks for the reply. Ya its kinda tough though because I live on a small island in Hawaii with no Junk yards. So everything is over the phone or craigslist.

So what I did was track down a couple junk yards that had similar model years. Then I called the dealer and got the engine harness part number. He said all GM harnesses have a ID tag on every connector and that the last 4 numbers of the engine harness number read on those tags. So I called the junk yard and asked them to check the harnesses they have out on the yard. No reply yet but its only been 10mins. Then im going to have to get my brother in cali to go and pick it up and then ship it to me. Just FYI 1200 dollar retail part which has been discontinued....150 with picking fee from salvage yard.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member

So the junker said all the tags have different numbers. 97 is coming up as 97 only. I think he said 95-96 are compatible but 97 is different. I have a feeling im going to waste some money figuring this out. I wish someone could chime in thats dealt with this before.